This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
An Approach to Record Human Hand Movement which Combines Two Complementary Measurement Systems: A Data Glove and a Motion Analysis System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 04, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a pilot study aimed to carry out a method for prehension movement recording. This method consists of using, simultaneously, a motion analysis system (Vicon®) and a sensitive glove (Cyber Glove®). The objective is to be able to give a set of complete data to our hand model in order to simulate the human prehension movement.
In a first study, only a data glove was used to record grasping movement. Many problems appeared when analysing the output of this system:
the hand model considered in the glove software is different from our model,
the arch degree of freedom does not exist in the glove model, despite the existence of the corresponding sensor,
the output from ab duction and flexion sensors are linked,
the calibration of the thumb is not efficient.
From these technical constraints, another movement recording system - motion analysis system - is used and data glove completes the data recorded with motion analysis system. Combining both systems enables us to eliminate the insufficiencies of the motion analysis system and the sensitive glove. The main advantage of this system is that it enables us to have continuous data. These data can complete the opto-electronic system where data can be lost. This approach is dependent of the glove hand model. To set up this method an experiment is carried out. During the experiment, the subject realises several grasping postures. The results show that the information lost by a system is recovered by the other one, allowing an easier movement analysis. In that case, the reproduction of different postures of the hand and further simulation of prehension movement are possible.
CitationSavescu, A., Beurier, G., Wang, X., Verriest, J. et al., "An Approach to Record Human Hand Movement which Combines Two Complementary Measurement Systems: A Data Glove and a Motion Analysis System," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2346, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2346.
- GRIFFIN W. B. FINDLEY R. P. TURNER M. L. CUTKOSKY M. R. Calibration and Mapping of a Human Hand for Dexterous Telemanipulation ASME IMECE 2000 Conference Haptic Interfaces for VirtualEnvironments and Teleoperator System Symposium
- JACK D. MERIAMS A.S. TREMAINE M. BURDEA G.C. ADAMOVICH S.V. RECCE M. POIZNER H. Virtual Reality-Enhanced Stroke Rehabilitation IEEE Transactions on neural systems and rehabilitation engineering 9 No. 3 September 2001
- KAHLESZ F. ZACHMANN G. KLEIN R. Visual-fidelity dataglove calibration Computer Graphics International June 16–19 2004 Crete Greece Computer Society Press
- KAMPER D.G. CRUZ E.G. SIEGEL M.P. Stereotypical Fingertip Trajectories During Grasp Journal Neurophysiologies 90 3702 3710 2003
- KESSLER G.D. HODGES L.F. WALKER N. Evaluation of the Cyberglove as a whole hand input device ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction 1995 2 (4) 263 283
- MACIEL A. SARMI S. BUCHWALDER O. BOULIC R. THALMANN D. Multi-Finger Haptic Rendering of Deformable Objects Eurographics Symposium on Virtual Environments 2004 Coquillart S. Göbel M.
- SAVESCU A. V. CHEZE L. Numerical model of the thumb SAE Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars – Mechanical Systems, 2005-01-2708
- SAVESCU A. V. CHEZE L. WANG X. BEURIER G. VERRIEST J-P A 25 Degrees of Freedom Hand Geometrical Model for Better Hand Attitude Simulation SAE Transactions Journal of Aerospace, V113-1:2004, 2004-01-2196 270 276
- VirtualHand User’s Guide, Calibrating Device 26 32 Immersion Corp
- ZHANG X. Determining finger segmental centres of rotation in flexion-extension based on surface marker measurement Journal of Biomechanics 36 2003 1097 1102
- ZHANG X. LEE S-W. BRAIDO P. Towards an integrated high-fidelity linkage representation of the human skeletal system based on surface measurement International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics 33 2004 215 227
- CHIU H-Y. SU F.C. WANG S-T. HSU H-Y. The motion analysis system and goniometry of the finger joints Journal of Hand Surgery (British and European Volume, 1998) 23B 6 788 791
- BRAIDO P. ZHANG X Quantitative analysis of finger motion coordination in hand manipulative and gestic acts Human Movement Science November 2003
- Miyata, N. Kouchi, M. Mochimaru, M. Kawachi, K. Kurihara, T. Hand link modelling and motion generation from motion capture data based on 3D joint kinematics SAE International Iowa, 2005-01-2687