This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fluid Dynamics Assessment of the VPCAR Water Recovery System in Partial and Microgravity
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 17, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The Vapor Phase Catalytic Ammonia Removal (VPCAR) system is being developed to recycle water for future NASA Exploration Missions. Testing was recently conducted on NASA's C-9B Reduced Gravity Aircraft to determine the microgravity performance of a key component of the VPCAR water recovery system. Six flights were conducted to evaluate the fluid dynamics of the Wiped-Film Rotating Disk (WFRD) distillation component of the VPCAR system in microgravity, focusing on the water delivery method. The experiments utilized a simplified system to study the process of forming a thin film on a disk similar to that in the evaporator section of VPCAR. Fluid issues are present with the current configuration, and the initial alternative configurations were only partial successful in microgravity operation. The underlying causes of these issues are understood, and new alternatives are being designed to rectify the problems.
|Journal Article||Flammability of Human Hair in Exploration Atmospheres|
|Technical Paper||SPE® Water Electrolyzers for Closed Environment Life Support|
|Technical Paper||Biofilm Formation and Control in a Simulated Spacecraft Water System: Interim Results|
CitationNiederhaus, C., Nahra, H., and Flynn, M., "Fluid Dynamics Assessment of the VPCAR Water Recovery System in Partial and Microgravity," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2131, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2131.
- Hanford, A. “Advanced Life Support Research and Technology Development Metric - Fiscal Year 2005,” National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Lyndon B. Johnson Space Center Houston, Texas 2006
- Holder, D. Hutchens C. “Development Status of the International Space Station Urine Processor Assembly” SAE Paper No. 2003-01-2690 33rd International Conference on Environmental Systems Vancouver, Canada July 7-10 2003
- Hutchens, C. Graves R. “Results of the Vapor Compression Distillation Flight Experiment (VCD-FE),” SAE Technical Papers Series No. 2004-01-2450 34th International Conference on Environmental Systems Colorado Springs, CO July 19-22 2004
- Tleimat, B. “Performance of a Rotating Flat-Disk Wiped-Film Evaporator,” ASME Publication 1971
- Flynn, M. Borchers B. “Assessment of the Technical Readiness of the Vapor Phase Catalytic Ammonia Removal Process,” SAE Technical Papers Series No. 2000-01-2287 30th International Conference on Environmental Systems Toulouse, France July 10-13 2000
- Tleimat, B. Tleimat M. Quinn G. “The Development of the Wiped-Film Rotating-Disk Evaporator for the Reclamation of Water at Microgravity,” SAE Technical Papers Series No. 2002-01-2397 32nd International Conference on Environmental Systems San Antonio, TX July 15-18 2002
- Quinn, G. Fort J. Tleimat B. Tleimat M. Flynn M. Smith F. “Development Status of the VPCAR Water Processor Assembly,” SAE Technical Papers Series No. 2003-01-2626 33rd International Conference on Environmental Systems Vancouver, Canada July 7-10 2003
- Flynn, M. Fisher J. Kliss M. Tleimat B. Tleimat M. Quinn G. Fort J. Nalette T. Baker G. Genovese J. “The Development of the Vapor Phase Catalytic Ammonia Removal (VPCAR) Engineering Development Unit” SAE Technical Papers Series No. 2004-01-2495 34th International Conference on Environmental Systems Colorado Springs, CO July 19-22 2004
- Lubman, A. MacKnight A. Reddig V. Bobe L. Pinsky B. Rakov V. Edeen M. “Performence Evaluation of a Three-Stage Vacuum Rotary Distillation Processor,” SAE Paper 2000-01-2386 30th International Conference on Environmental Systems Toulouse, France July 10-13 2000
- Rifert, V. Usenko V. Zolotukhin I. MacKnight A. Lubman A. “Design Optimization of Cascade Rotary Distiller with the Heat Pump for Water Reclamation from Urine,” SAE Paper 2001-01-2248 31st International Conference on Environmental Systems Orlando, FL July 9-12 2001
- Rifert V. Usenko V. Zolotukhin I. Lubman A. MacKnight A. “Cascaded Distillation Technology for Water Processing in Space,” SAE Paper 2003-01-2625 33rd International Conference on Environmental Systems Vancouver, Canada July 7-10 2003
- Chiaramonte, F. Joshi J. “Workshop on Critical Issues in Microgravity Fluids, Transport, and Reaction Processes in Advanced Human Support Technology, Final Report,” NASA Glenn Research Center Cleveland, Ohio August 11-13 2003
- Viskanta, R. Chair, Committee on Microgravity Research, National Research Council Microgravity Research in Support of Technologies for the Human Exploration and Development of Space and Planetary Bodies National Academy Press Washington D.C. 2000
- Workshop on Research Needs in Fluids Management for the Human Exploration of Space National Center for Microgravity Research and NASA Glenn Research Center September 22 2000