This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Rapid and Accurate Determination of Bacterial Abundance and their Physiological Activity in Freshwater used in Closed Ecology Experiment Facilities (CEEF) “Mini-Earth”, Japan
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 17, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In space utilization, an enormous amount of freshwater for drinking, daily use, hydroponics. is used and recycled in a closed habitat. We have developed culture-independent techniques to analyze microbial cells at the single level, a cell itself, and also community level. By using these methods such as fluorescent vital staining (double staining with carboxyfluorescein diacetate and 4′,6-diamidino-2-phenyl indole), microcolony method and denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis (DGGE), bacterial abundance and their physiological activity in freshwater used in Closed Ecology Experiment Facilities (CEEF) “Mini-Earth” were determined.
CitationBaba, T., Yamaguchi, N., Nasu, M., Aibe, Y. et al., "Rapid and Accurate Determination of Bacterial Abundance and their Physiological Activity in Freshwater used in Closed Ecology Experiment Facilities (CEEF) “Mini-Earth”, Japan," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2078, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2078.
- Hobbie J. E. Daley R. J. Jasper S. “Use of nucleopore filters for counting bacteria by fluorescence microscopy” Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 33 1225 1228 1977
- Yamaguchi N. Kenzaka T. Nasu M. “Rapid in situ enumeration of physiologically active bacteria in river waters using fluorescent probes” Microb. Environ. 12 1 8 1997
- Yamaguchi N. Nasu M. “Flow cytometric analysis of bacterial respiratory and enzymatic activity in the natural aquatic environment” J. Appl. Microbiol. 83 43 52 1997
- Iwamoto T. Tani K. Nakamura K. Suzuki Y. Kitagawa M. Eguchi M. Nasu M. “Monitoring impact of in situ biostimulation treatment on groundwater bacterial community by DGGE” FEMS Microbiol. Ecol. 32 129 141 2000
- Kawai M. Matsutera E. Kanda H. Yamaguchi N. Tani K. Nasu M. “16S ribosomal DNA-based analysis of bacterial diversity in purified water used in pharmaceutical manufacturing processes by PCR and denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis” Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 68 699 704 2002
- Kawai M. Yamagichi J. Yamaguchi N. Tani K. Nasu M. “Bacterial population dynamics and community structure in a pharmaceutical manufacturing water supply system determined by real- time PCR and PCR-denaturing gradient gel electrophoresis” J. Appl. Microbiol. 97 1123 1131 2004
- Reasoner D. J. Geldreich E. E. “A new medium for the enumeration and subculture of bacteria from potable water” Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 49 1 7 1985
- Kawai M. Yamaguchi N. Nasu M. “Rapid enumeration of physiologically active bacteria in purified water used in the pharmaceutical manufacturing process” J. Appl. Microbiol. 86 496 504 1999
- Tsai Y. L. Olson B. H. “Rapid method for direct extraction of DNA from soil and sediments” Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 57 1070 1074 1991