This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
ISS: On-Board ECLSS Maintenance Activities and Launch Logistics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published July 17, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The ISS U. S. ECLSS contains replaceable component designs to facilitate maintenance. A replaceable component is referred to as an Orbital Replacement Unit (ORU). Total U. S. ECLSS maintenance events that have occurred over the five years (2001-2005) of operations are summarized. A more detailed description is provided for the ECLSS Remove and Replace (R&R) maintenance activities that have occurred during the last two years and the associated logistics that supported these activities. Maintenance activities have replaced failed or degraded ORU's by Corrective Maintenance (CM) and replaced spent expendable ORU's by Preventative Maintenance (PM). Corrective maintenance is performed only when necessary and often on relatively short notice. Preventative maintenance is planned in advance and is normally performed at a specified ORU service time. The paper also describes activities and successful efforts to increase the expendable ORU service life. Other maintenance activities, besides R&R, are scheduled inspections, cleaning and periodic rotation of idle equipment. ECLSS logistics metrics such as Shuttle, Progress and Soyuz launched and returned quantities, weights and volumes are presented. Future planned maintenance activities and logistics are discussed as well as planned changes to ORU designs and service life.
|Technical Paper||MSG-3–A Method For Maintenance Program Planning|
|Technical Paper||Airline Fuel Saving Through Jt9D Engine Refurbishment|
|Technical Paper||Effects of FAR 25.1309 on Airplane Operation and Maintenance|
CitationThompson, C., "ISS: On-Board ECLSS Maintenance Activities and Launch Logistics," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-2062, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-2062.
- Thompson, C.D; Shkedi, B.: ISS ECLSS: 3 Years of Logistics for Maintenance, SAE 2004-01-2388; 34th International Conference on Environmental Systems. Society of Automotive Engineers: Warrendale, PA; July 2004.
- Shkedi, B.: International Space Station (ISS) Water Transfer Hardware Logistics, SAE 2006-01-2093; 36th International Conference on Environmental Systems. Society of Automotive Engineers: Warrendale, PA; July 2006..
- Prokhprov, K.; Shkedi, B.: Methodogy and Assumptions of Contingency Shuttle Crew Support (CSCS) Calculations Using ISS Environmental Control and Life Support Systems. SAE 2006-01-2061; 36th International Conference on Environmental Systems. Society of Automotive Engineers: Warrendale, PA; July 2006.
- Perry, J. L.: International Space Station Bacteria Filter Element Service Life Evaluation Follow-up and Update, EV50 (05-009), NASA MSFC, Huntsville, AL; December 28, 2005.
- Thompson, C.D.: ISS ECLSS Expendables Service Life Improvements, SAE 2003-01-2492; 33rd International Conference on Environmental Systems. Society of Automotive Engineers: Warrendale, PA; July 2003.