This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Tractor-Semi-Trailer Base Drag Reduction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 01, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study was carried out to investigate, experimentally using a wind tunnel, the drag contribution (base drag) due to the flat-end of most van-type semi-trailers used for inter-city tractor-semi-trailer transportation. The study was focused on high cruise-speed operation of such vehicles at about 100 km/h (62.2 mile/h) a speed that can often be maintained for long distances on inter-city runs. It was found that it is possible to reduce overall aerodynamic drags significantly using a modestly tapered after-body terminating in a flat base. It was also shown that such after-bodies can be arranged to permit easy aft-end loading or unloading of trailers and that a reduction of engine fuel consumption at high-speed cruise on a level road of about 14% should be achievable when due allowance is also made for vehicle rolling resistance.
CitationKentfield, J., Rangayyan, A., and Boze, C., "Tractor-Semi-Trailer Base Drag Reduction," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1975, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1975.
- The U.S. Department of Transportation “Comprehensive Truck Size and Weight Study, Volume 2, Chapter 2: Truck Size and Weight Limits,” July 2002 http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/reports/tswstudy/Vol2-Chapter2.pdf
- Ontario Ministry of Transportation “A Guide to Oversize/Overweight Vehicles and Loads in Ontario,” May 2005 http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/trucks/oversize/guide.htm#weight
- British Columbia Commercial Vehicle Safety and Enforcement “Commercial Transport Manual, Bulletin 6 - Vehicle Design,” September 2003 http://www.pssg.gov.bc.ca/cvse/Manual/Compliance/SECTION_1/BULLETIN_6/index.htm
- Alberta Infrastructure and Transportation “Tractor Semi-Trailer,” 2001 http://www.trans.gov.ab.ca/Content/doctype281/production/teg041.htm
- Manitoba Transportation and Government Services “Weights and Dimensions Compliance Guide,” July 2003 http://www.gov.mb.ca/tgs/transreg/compreg/wdcompguide.pdf
- Ministère des Transports du Quebec “Vehicle Load and Size Limits Guide,” 2005 http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca/en/publications/camionnage/charges/guide_en.pdf
- Nova Scotia Department of Transportation and Public Works “Weights and Dimensions of Vehicles Regulations,” November 2002 http://www.gov.ns.ca/just/regulations/regs/mvwd.htm#schAtoc
- New Brunswick Department of Transportation “Trucking Information,” 2005 http://www.gnb.ca/0113/trucking/faq-trucking-e.asp
- Webtec Products Ltd “Road Rolling Resistance,” March 2004 http://www.webster-inst.com/techinfo/equation/eqnfr/eqn14.htm
- Hoerner, S.F. “Fluid Dynamic Drag” 2 nd 1 Hoerner Fluid Dynamics Albuquerque, NM 1965
- Rendall, D. “Jane's aircraft Recognition Guide.” Harper Collins 1995