This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Electro-Mechanical Active Roll Control: A New Solution for Active Suspensions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published February 14, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents the approach followed by Politecnico di Torino Vehicle Dynamics Research team to design an electro-mechanical Active Roll Control (ARC) system. The first part of the paper describes the targets of the system, which has to improve both comfort and handling. Different solutions for the implementation of the electro-mechanical actuation were evaluated. A prototype of the electro-mechanical Active Roll Control was built and experimentally tested in the Vehicle Dynamics Laboratory of the Department of Mechanics of Politecnico di Torino, by adopting a Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) test bench. The experimental results show the benefits of the system, both in a stand alone configuration and integrated with an Electronic Stability Control (ESC) system.
CitationSorniotti, A., "Electro-Mechanical Active Roll Control: A New Solution for Active Suspensions," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1966, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1966.
- Sorniotti A. Morgando A. Velardocchia M. ‘Active Roll Control (ARC): System Design and Hardware-In-the-Loop Test Bench’ paper 163, XIX IAVSD Symposium August 2005 Milan
- Gummadi L. N. B. Cai H. Lin S. Fan X. Cao K. ‘Bushing Characteristics of Stabilizer Bars’ SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0239
- Shimada K. Shibahata Y. ‘Comparison of Three Active Chassis Method for Stabilizing Yaw Moment’ SAE Technical Paper 940870
- Sorniotti A. Velardocchia M. Krief P. Danesin D. ‘Active Roll Control to Increase Handling and Comfort’ ‘SAE 2003 Transactions: Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems’ 112 1007 1017 SAE International Warrendale, PA, USA 0-7680-1453-0
- Kesselgruber et al. ‘Active Roll Control (ARC) to Increase Driving Safety and Steering Agility’ ADSC Conference 2004, SAE 2004-01-2045
- Verhagen A. Futterer S. Rupprecht J. Trächtler A. ‘Vehicle Dynamics Management - Benefits of Integrated Control of Active Brake, Active Steering and Active Suspension Systems’ FISITA Technical Paper F2004F185, FISITA World Congress Barcelona 2004
- Erhardt R. Pfaff G. van Zanten A. ‘VDC, the Vehicle Dynamics Control System of Bosch’ SAE Technical Paper 950759
- Velardocchia M. Sorniotti A. ‘Hardware-In-the-Loop (HIL) Testing of ESP (Electronic Stability Program) Commercial Hydraulic Units and Implementation of New Control Strategies’ ‘SAE 2004 Transactions - Journal of Passenger Cars - Mechanical Systems’ 113 SAE International Warrendale, PA, USA 0-7680-1555-3 1177 1185