This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Static Memory and Execution Time Analysis of Embedded Code
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Failure of a safety-critical application on an embedded processor can lead to severe damage or even loss of life. Here we are concerned with two kinds of failure: stack overflow, which usually leads to run-time errors that are difficult to diagnose, and failure to meet deadlines, which is catastrophical for systems with hard real-time characteristics. Classical validation methods like code review and testing with repeated measurements require a lot of effort, are expensive, and do not really help in proving the absence of such errors. AbsInt's tools StackAnalyzer and aiT (timing analyzer) provide a solution to this problem. They use abstract interpretation as a formal method that allows to obtain statements valid for all program runs with all inputs.
CitationFerdinand, C. and Heckmann, R., "Static Memory and Execution Time Analysis of Embedded Code," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1499, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1499.
SAE 2006 Transactions Journal of Passenger Cars: Electronic and Electrical Systems
Number: V115-7; Published: 2007-03-30
Number: V115-7; Published: 2007-03-30
- AbsInt Angewandte Informatik GmbH aiSee Home Page http://www.aisee.com
- Cousot Patrick Cousot Radhia Abstract Inter-pretation: A Unified Lattice Model for Static Analysis of Programs by Construction or Approximation of Fix-points Proceedings of the 4th ACM Symposium on Principles of Programming Languages Los Angeles, California 1977
- Ferdinand Christian Cache Behavior Prediction for Real-Time Systems Saarland University 1997
- Ferdinand Christian Heckmann Reinhold Langenbach Marc Martin Florian Schmidt Michael Theiling Henrik Thesing Stephan Wilhelm Reinhard Reliable and precise WCET determination for a real-life processor Proceedings of EMSOFT 2001, First Workshop on Embedded Software 2211 Lecture Notes in Computer Science 469 485 Springer-Verlag 2001
- Heckmann Reinhold Langenbach Marc Thesing Stephan Wilhelm Reinhard The influence of processor architecture on the design and the results of WCET tools Proceedings of the IEEE 91 7 1038 1054 July 2003 Special Issue on Real-Time Systems
- Janz Winfried Embedded World Nuremberg, Germany February 2003
- Langenbach Marc Thesing Stephan Reinhold Heckmann Pipeline modeling for timing analysis Proceedings of the 9th International Static Analysis Symposium SAS 2002 2477 Lecture Notes in Computer Science 294 309 Springer-Verlag 2002
- Martin Florian Alt Martin Wilhelm Reinhard Ferdinand Christian Analysis of Loops Koskimies Kai Proceedings of the International Conference on Compiler Construction (CC'98) 1383 Lecture Notes in Computer Science 80 94 Springer-Verlag March April 1998
- Schneider Jöorn Ferdinand Christian Pipeline Behavior Prediction for Superscalar Processors by Abstract Interpretation Proceedings of the ACM SIGPLAN Workshop on Languages, Compilers and Tools for Embedded Systems 34 35 44 May 1999
- Stankovic John A. Real-Time and Embedded Systems ACM 50th Anniversary Report on Real-Time Computing Research 1996 http://www-ccs.cs.umass.edu/sdcr/rt.ps
- Theiling Henrik Extracting Safe and Precise Control Flow from Binaries Proceedings of the 7th Conference on Real-Time Computing Systems and Applications Cheju Island, South Korea 2000
- Theiling Henrik ILP-based interprocedural path analysis Sangiovanni-Vincentelli Alberto L. Sifakis Joseph Proceedings of EMSOFT 2002, Second International Conference on Embedded Software 2491 Lecture Notes in Computer Science 349 363 Springer-Verlag 2002
- Theiling Henrik Ferdinand Christian Combining abstract interpretation and ILP for microarchitecture modelling and program path analysis Proceedings of the 19th IEEE Real-Time Systems Symposium 144 153 Madrid, Spain December 1998
- Wilhelm Reinhard Determining bounds on execution times Zurawski R. Handbook on Embedded Systems 14 1 14 23 CRC Press 2005