This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Wear of Valve Train Components Due to Soot Contaminated Lubricant
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A study has been carried out to investigate the influence of soot contaminated automotive lubricants in the wear process of engine valve train contacts. Previous research on this topic has been performed from a purely generic and theoretical point of view. Testing has been carried out using standard testing techniques with very little relevance to real engine conditions or components. In this study the conditions under which wear occurs was investigated using tests with actual valve train components. The objective of the work was to develop a knowledge base of wear data for a variety of lubricated reciprocating valve train components. This will increase the understanding of the wear mechanisms that occur within a contaminated contact zone, which will be used in the future development of a predictive valve train wear model.
CitationGreen, D., Lewis, R., and Dwyer-Joyce, R., "Wear of Valve Train Components Due to Soot Contaminated Lubricant," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1098, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-1098.
- Robert Bosch GmbH Automotive Handbook 1996 Fourth Bentley Publishers Cambridge MA, USA
- Daido, S. Kodama, Y. Inohara, T. Ohyama, N. Sugiyama, T. Analysis of Soot Accumulation inside Diesel Engines 2000 JSAE Review 21 303 308
- Dennis, A.J. Garner, C.P. Taylor, D.H.C. The Effect of EGR on Diesel Engine Wear 1999 SAE Paper No. 1999-01-0839
- Nagai, I. Endo, H. Nakamura, H. Yano, H. Soot and Valve Train Wear in Passenger Car Diesel Engines 1983 SAE Paper No. 831757
- Rounds, F.G. Carbon: Cause of Diesel Engine Wear? 1977 SAE Paper No. 770829
- Kim, C. Passut, C. A. Zang, D. M. Relationships Among Oil Composition Combustion-Generated Soot, and Diesel Engine Valve Train Wear 1992 SAE 922199
- Sato, H. Tokuoka, N. Yamamoto, H. Sasaki, M. Study on Wear Mechanism by Soot Contamination in Engine Oil 1999 SAE Paper No. 1999-01-3573
- Yoshida, K. Sakurai, T. Some Aspects of Tribological Behaviour on Dispersed-Phase System 1998 Lubrication Engineering 44 913 921
- Gautam, M. Durbha, M. Chitoor, K. Jaraiedi, M. Mariwalla, N. Ripple, D. Contribution of Soot Contaminated Oils to Wear 1998 SAE Paper No. 981406
- Clague, A.D.H. Donnet, J.B. Wang, T.K. Peng, J.C.M. A Comparison of Diesel Engine Soot with Carbon Black 1999 Carbon 37 1553 1565
- Chatfield, C. Statistics for Technology 3rd 1983 Chapman and Hall London
- Williams, J.A. Engineering Tribology 1994 Oxford University Press
- Hamrock, B.J. Schmid, S.R. Jacobson, B.O. Fundamentals of Fluid Film Lubrication 2nd 2004 Marcel Dekker, Inc.