This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Physical Properties of Waterborne Soft Feel Coatings for Automotive Parts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Physical properties of waterborne soft feel coatings for instrument panel were investigated. Soft feel coatings give warm and velvet touch for cold and hard plastic materials. A waterborne soft feel coating is composed of two parts. Part A contains polyester polyurethane dispersion (PE-PUD), OH-functional water dispersible polyurethane resin (PC-PUD) and OH-functional water dispersible alkyd resin (OH-PA). Part B contains hydrophilic hexamethylene diisocyanate trimer (HHDI). The soft feeling of a coated panel is related with the amounts of PC-PUD and OH-PA. The physical properties of coated panel are controlled by the NCO/OH ratio from Part A and Part B. The results from all reliability tests satisfied soft feeling, scratch, chemical resistance and fogging.
|Technical Paper||Designing for Thermoplastic Exterior Body Panel Systems|
|Technical Paper||High Temperature Resistance of Fluoropolymers in Automotive Fuels|
|Journal Article||Development of Improved Method for Magnetically Formed Decorative Painting|
CitationKim, O., Oh, W., Chun, Y., Ahn, J. et al., "Physical Properties of Waterborne Soft Feel Coatings for Automotive Parts," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0754, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0754.
- Park J. M. et al “Automotive Waterborne Paint” Polymer Science and Technology 6 No. 3 242 252 1995
- Melchiors Martin et al “Recent developments in aqueous two-component polyurethane (2K-PUR) coatings” Progress in organic coating 40 99 109 2000
- Lim J. C. et al “Role of Resin Properties on Coating Applications” Polymer science and Technology 6 No. 3 213 225 1995
- Wicks Zeno W. et al “Two package waterborne urethane systems” Progress on Organic Coating 44 161 183 2002
- Diener, W. Kreiter, M. Obloh, R. Schreiber, P. US Patent 1995
- Diener, W. Kreiter, M. Obloh, R. Schreiber, P. US Patent 1994
- Bittner, A. Ziegler, P. Proceedings of the Third Nuernburg Congress Paper No. 38 1995