This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stereo Vision Based Parking Assist System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents semi-automatic parking assist system, which performs stereo vision based recognition of free parking site and parking guidance with automated steering operation. Pixel structure classification and feature based stereo matching extracts the 3D information of parking site. Parking site marking is separated by plane surface constraint and is transformed into bird's eye view, on which template matching is performed to determine the location of parking site. Obstacle depth map, which is generated from the disparity of adjacent vehicle can be used as the guideline of template matching by limiting the search range and the orientation. Proposed method using both the obstacle depth map and the bird's eye view of parking site marking increases the operation speed and the robustness to visual noise by effectively limiting the search range. Using this map information, geometrical relation is tested and efficient parking path is generated. Desired steering angle data correspondent with wheel travel is transmitted to electric power steering via serial communication. This system was implemented on real passenger car and tested in practical parking situation.
|Technical Paper||A Method for Camera Vision Based Parking Spot Detection|
|Technical Paper||Integrated Rear-view Mirror for Driver Monitoring System|
|Technical Paper||Vehicle Detection Algorithm for Lane Change Decision Aid System|
CitationChoi, C., Kim, D., Jung, H., and Yoon, P., "Stereo Vision Based Parking Assist System," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0571, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0571.
- Frank Randy, “Sensing in the ultimately safe vehicle,” SAE Paper No. : 2004-21-0055, Society of Automotive Engineers, 2004.
- Furutani Masayuki, “Obstacle detection systems for vehicle safety,” SAE Paper No. : 2004-21-0057, Society of Automotive Engineers, 2004.
- Hiramatsu Shoji, Hibi Akihito, Tanaka Yu, Kakinami Toshiaki, Iwata Yoshifumi, Nakamura Masahiko, “Rearview Camera based parking assist system with voice guidance,” SAE Paper No. : 2002-01-0759, Society of Automotive Engineers, 2002.
- Fintzel K., Bendahan R., Vestri C., Bougnoux S., Yamamoto S., Kakinami T., “3D vision system for vehicles,” Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium 2003, pp. 174-179, 2003.
- Wada Massaki, Yoon Kang Sup, Hashimoto Hideki, “Development of advanced parking assistance system,” IEEE Transaction on Industrial Electronics, Volume 50, No. 1, pp. 4-17, 2003.
- Kaempchen Nico, Franke Uwe, Ott Rainer, “Stereo vision based pose estimation of parking lots using 3D vehicle models,” Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium 2002, pp. 459-464, 2002.
- Xu Jin, Chen Guang, Xie Ming, “Vision-guided automatic parking for smart car,” Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium 2000, pp. 725-730, 2000.
- Point Grey Research http://www.ptgrey.com
- Gavrila Dariu M., franke Uwe, Woehler Christian, Goerzig Steffen, “Real-time vision for intelligent vehicles,” IEEE Instrumentation & Measurement Magazine, Volume 4, Issue 2, pp. 22-27, 2001.
- Franke U., Joos A., “Real-time stereo vision for urban traffic scene understanding,” Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium 2000, pp. 273-278, 2000.
- Franke U., Kutzbach I., “Fast stereo based object detection for stop&go traffic,” Proceedings of IEEE Intelligent Vehicle Symposium 1996, pp. 339-344, 1996. Frank Randy, “Sensing in the ultimately safe vehicle,” SAE Paper No. : 2004-21-0055, Society of Automotive Engineers, 2004.