This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Performances and Emissions Optimization of a CR Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biodiesel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The modern common rail Diesel engines are normally optimised for being fuelled with the commercial Diesel fuel. Consequently, the ECU calibrations are defined to realize the best compromise between performances and emissions. If the engine is fuelled with an alternative biofuel with different characteristics (net heating value, stoichiometric A/F ratio, density, viscosity, etc.) it is clear that the calibration must be modified. Interest in fuels from renewable sources and their use in transportation has grown over the last decade. This is because of their biodegradability, potential improvements in exhaust emissions and benefits on the virtuous CO2 cycle of the earth.
This paper demonstrates that it is possible to optimise emissions and performances of a light duty C.R. Diesel engine fuelled with a vegetable derived fuel (Rapeseed Methyl-Ester) pure or blended with commercial Diesel fuel. Particularly in this paper the experimental results and ECU control solutions referring to different fuel compositions are shown.
CitationSenatore, A., Cardone, M., Buono, D., Rocco, V. et al., "Performances and Emissions Optimization of a CR Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biodiesel," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0235, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0235.
New Diesel Engines and Components and CI Engine Performance for Use with Alternative Fuels
Number: SP-2014; Published: 2006-04-03
Number: SP-2014; Published: 2006-04-03
- “Green Paper on Energy Efficiency” Official Publication of European Communities 92-894-9819-6 2005
- Rocco V. Prati M.V. Senatore A. Cerri E. Benfenati M. “Fuelling a Small Diesel Engine by Using Diesel fuel and RME: Comparative Results and Particulate Characterization” Lecce 1996
- Rocco V. Montanari R. Prati M.V. Senatore A. “Analysis of Particulate Emitted from an IDI Turbocharged Small Diesel Engine Fuelled with Diesel Fuel, Biofuel and their Blend” 1995 Fall Technical Conference 3 ASME 1995
- Cardone M. Senatore A. Prati M.V. Rocco V. “A Comparative Analysis of Combustion Process in D.I. Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel and Diesel Fuel” SAE paper n. 2000-01-0691 SAE 2000 World Congress Detroit, Michigan March 6-9 2000
- Xiaoming L. Yunshan G. Sijin W. Xiukun H. “An Experimental Investigation on Combustion and Emissions Characteristics of Turbocharged DI Engines Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel” SAE paper n. 2005-01-2199 SAE BRASIL Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition Rio de Janeiro, Brazil May 11-13 2005
- Senda J. Fujimoto H. “Flame Structure and Combustion Characteristics in Diesel Combustion Fueled With Bio-Diesel” SAE paper n. 2004-01-0084 SAE 2004 World Congress & Exhibition Detroit, Michigan, USA March 2004
- Payri F. Macián V. Arrègle J. Tormos B. Martínez J.L. “Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine Performance and Emission Measurements for Biodiesel (from Cooking Oil) Blends Used in the ECOBUS Project” SAE paper n. 2005-01-2205 SAE BRASIL Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition Rio de Janeiro, Brazil May 11-13 2005
- Cardone M. Prati M.V. Rocco V. Seggiani M. Senatore A. Vitolo S. “Brassica Carinata as an Alternative Oil Crop for the Production of Biodiesel in Italy: Engine Performances and Regulated and Unregulated Emissions” Enviromental Science & Technology 36 4656 4662 2002
- Cardone M. Mazzoncini M. Menini S. Rocco V. Senatore A. Seggiani M. Vitolo S. “Brassica Carinata as an Alternative Oil Crop for the Production of Biodiesel in Italy: Agronomic Evaluation, Fuel Production by Transesterifcation and Characterization” Biomass and Bioenergy 25 623 636 2003
- Nabi N. Shahadat M.Z. “Behaviour of Diesel Combustion and Exhaust Emission With Neat Diesel Fuel and Diesel-Biodiesel Blends” SAE paper n. 2004-01-3034 - Powertrain & Fluid Systems Conference & Exhibition Tampa, FL, USA October 2004
- Alfuso S. Allocca L. Cardone M. Montanaro A. Senatore A. “Optical Characterization of Biodiesel and Diesel Fuel Sprays from a CR Injection Apparatus” FISITA 2004 World Automotive Congress Barcelona 23-27 May 2004
- Alfuso, S. Allocca, L. Cardone, M. Senatore A. “Biofuel Spray Behaviour from Diesel Engine CR Injection Apparatus at Different Operative Conditions” Proceedings of the 7th International Congress on Optical Particle Characterization Kyoto 1-5 August 2004
- Trapel E. Mayer C. Schulz C. Roth P. “Effects of Bio Diesel Injection in a DI Diesel Engine on Gaseous and Particulate Emission” SAE paper n. 2005-01-2204 SAE BRASIL Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition Rio de Janeiro, Brazil May 11-13 2005
- Allocca L. Cardone M. Rocco V. Senatore A. Vitolo S. “Experimental Characterization of a Common Rail Engine Fuelled with Different Biodiesel” SAE paper n. 2005-01-2207 SAE BRASIL Fuels & Lubricants Meeting & Exhibition Rio de Janeiro, Brazil May 11-13 2005
- Sharp C.A. Howell S.A. Jobe J. “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuels on Transient Emissions From Modern Diesel Engines-Part I: Regulated Emissions and Performance” SAE paper n. 2000-01-1967 SAE Warrendale, Penn. 2000
- Choi C.Y. Bower C.R. Reitz R.D. “Effect of Biodiesel Blended Fuels and Multiple Injections on DI Diesel Engines” SAE paper n. 970218 International Congress & Exposition Detroit, Michigan, USA February 1997
- Reksowardojo I.K. Hanif Afghani I.H.A. Rahman Brodjonegoro T.P. Soerawidjaja T.H. Arismunandar W. “The Performance and Exhaust Emission of a Diesel Engine Using Biodiesel Fuel from Crude Palm Oil (CPO) and Refined Bleached Deodorized Oil from Palm Oil (RBDPO)” FISITA 2004 World Automotive Congress Barcelona 23-27 May 2004