This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of New Low Fuel Consumption 1.8L i-VTEC Gasoline Engine with Delayed Intake Valve Closing
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A low fuel consumption 1.8L 4-Cylinder gasoline engine was developed as the new generation i-Series power plant. The engine utilizes variable valve timing and lift, which produces low fuel consumption by delayed intake valve closing, while still achieving high power. In addition, this light weight and compact engine's high power was increased by using a variable length intake manifold and modified engine technologies. Using a two-bed catalytic converter installed immediately adjacent to the cylinder head and other new technologies, this engine achieved LEV II ULEV certification. Engine noise has been reduced through a reduction in the level of crank rattling by increasing the rigidity of the crank support in the lower block.
CitationAkima, K., Seko, K., Taga, W., Torii, K. et al., "Development of New Low Fuel Consumption 1.8L i-VTEC Gasoline Engine with Delayed Intake Valve Closing," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0192, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0192.
- Niizato T. Hayashi A. Development of New 2.0L Lean Burn Engine HONDA R&D Technical Review 12 2 45 54 2000
- Noguchi S. Fujiwara M. Segawa M. Sawamura K. Suzuki S. Development of Variable Cylinder System Proceedings of JSAE, NO. 20-24 19 22 2004
- Yamana K. Yuzawa Y. Shiga S. Nishida K. Araki M. Nakamura Y. Obokata T. Effects of Intake Air Turbulence and Lean Burn on Performance of High-expansion Cycle Gasoline Engine with Delayed Intake Valve Closing Proceedings of JSAE, No. 95-04 1 5 2004
- Okui S. Matsuki M. Development of 1.3L Engine for Hybrid Vehicle Proceedings of JSAE, No. 74-02 19 22 2002
- Nagumo S. Hara S. Improvement of Fuel Consumption Rate by Control of Intake Air Valve Closing Timings Proceedings of JSAE, No. 26-4 17 22 1995
- Uda H. Amamiya T. Yokoo K. Iizuka Y. Development of New Small Engine for 2002 Model Proceedings of JSAE, No. 113-01 1 4 2001
- Kuboduka T. et al. Analysis of Crankshaft Behavior and Engine Vibration during Engine Operation JSAE Transaction, No. 23 1981
- Kuroda, O. Fujii, Y. An Approach to Improve Engine Sound Quality SAE, 880083
- Tsuge K. et al. A Study of Noise in Vehicle Passenger Component during Acceleration Journal of Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 39 12 1985