This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Finite Element Simulation of the Bending and Springback Behavior of Advanced High Strength Steels (DP780)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this work two bending processes are examined. The first is bending and springback in a V-die. The second is bending and springback in a “small radius” bender machine. Springback for both processes are experimentally measured for a DP780 advanced high strength steel (AHSS). The bending/springback processes are also modeled using finite element analysis (FEA), and the factors examined are; the effect of the element type (2D shell vs. 2D solid), and material model (isotropic hardening vs. kinematic hardening). Analytical models are also used to predict (where possible) bending and residual stresses, as well as springback. Comparisons are made between experiments, analytical models, and FEA in order to gain a better understanding of kinematic hardening effects, as well as the ability of shell/solid elements to predict these effects. In the analysis, planer isotropy is assumed, as well as a constant elastic modulus.
CitationLim, T. and Jain, M., "Finite Element Simulation of the Bending and Springback Behavior of Advanced High Strength Steels (DP780)," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0148, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0148.
- Lemaitre, J. Chaboche, J. L. 2002 Mechanics of Solid Materials Cambridge Cambridge University Press
- Queener, C. A. De Angelis, R. J. 1968 Elastic Springback and Residual Stresses in Sheet Metal Formed by Bending Tranactions of the ASM 61 757 768
- Gardiner, F. J. 1957 The Springback of Metals Transactions of the ASME 79 (1) 1 9
- Wang, C. Kinzel, G. Altan, Taylan 1993 Mathematical modeling of plane strain bending of sheet and plate Journal of Materials Processing Technology 39 279 304
- Marciniak, Z. Duncan, J. L. Hu, S. J. 2002 Mechanics of Sheet Metal Forming 2nd Ed. Oxford Butterworth Heinman
- Tseng, A. A. Chen, T. C. Jen, K. P. Ochial, T. 1994 Forming and Fractographical Characteristics of Copper-Bickel-Beryllium Sheets Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 3 (5) 619 634
- Zheng, T 1994 Analysis and Modeling of Plastic Bending Processes (Doctoral dissertation, Lulea University of Technology, 1994) Dissertation Abstracts International 142 D 0348-8373
- Hill, R 1950 Mathematical theory of Plasticity Oxford Clarendon Press
- Proska, F. 1959 Der Stahlbau. 28 (59) 29 36
- Cook, R. D. Malkus, D. S. Plesha, M. E. Witt, R. J. 2001 Concepts and Applications of Finite Element Analysis John Wiley & Sons Inc
- Advanced high strength steel guidelines Retrieved August 5, 2005, from http://www.worldsteel.org
- Berstad, O. Hopperstad, S. Langseth, M. 1994 Elasto-Viscoplastic Constitutive Models in the Explicit Finite Element Code LS-DYNA3D 2nd International LS-DYNA3D Conference San Francisco
- Jiang, Sen 1997 Springback Investigations The OHIO state University., Departments of Engineering Mechanics