This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Real-World Rollovers Reconstructed from Interviews and Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 03, 2006 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Three vehicle rollovers have been reconstructed based on driver interviews and approximate measurements of crash artifacts. The purpose of this work is to provide insight into sensor signals prior to the onset of rollover. The three events include: a car-to-car T-bone leading to a roll of 90 degrees; an impact-induced skid leading to a roll with 6 quarter turns; and a single vehicle partly on-road event with three complete rolls. Sensor signals are derived using the PC-Crash tool, and characteristic features are identified. Insights derived from these events can aid in development of robust rollover detection algorithms and calibrations. Furthermore, by studying how pre-roll maneuvers may presage a rollover event, key requirements for system-of-systems safety architectures can be derived.
CitationSchubert, P., "Real-World Rollovers Reconstructed from Interviews and Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0060, 2006, https://doi.org/10.4271/2006-01-0060.
- Schubert P. Nichols D. Wallner E. Kong H. Schiffmann J. “Electronics and Algorithms for Rollover Sensing” SAE World Congress 2004 Detroit, MI
- Wallner E Gopal M. Rohr S. Fitch M. “Challenges in Simulation and Sensor Development for Occupant Protection in Rollover Accidents” Convergence 2000: paper #2000-01-C038
- Le J. McCoy R. Chou C. “Early Detection of Rollovers with Associated Test Development” SAE World Congress 2005 Detroit, MI
- Viano D. Parenteau C. “Case Study of Vehicle Maneuvers Leading to Rollovers: Need for a Vehicle Test Simulating Off-Road Excursions, Recovery, and Handling” SAE 2003-01-0169 2003
- Steffan H. Moser A. “How to Use PC-CRASH to Simulate Rollover Crashes” SAE 2004-01-0341 2004
- Greene M. Trent V. “A Predictive Rollover Sensor,” SAE 2002-01-1605 2002
- Kroninger M. et. al. “A New Sensing Concept for Tripped Rollovers,” SAE 2004-01-0340