This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental and CFD Simulation-Based Analytical Optimization of Air-Cooling System for a Small 4-Stroke Scooter Engine
Published October 12, 2005 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
Progressive demand being placed on more efficient and quite engines require engine subsystem to be optimized without compromising their performance. Cooling system is one of the important engine sub system to be optimized to achieve better performance with reduced noise levels and with minimum power consumption. In the present paper an effort is made to optimize a fan-driven air-cooling system for a small 4-stroke scooter engine. Complete three-dimensional analysis has been done with commercially available computational fluid dynamics (CFD) codes. Analytical results are validated with the experimental results. A good correlation has been observed between analytical and experimental results. The work is done in two phases. In the first phase, complete flow and heat transfer analysis of the present system has been done. Flow analysis revealed flow blockage, significance of leakage through various parts of the cowling, and separation of the flow inside the vane passages of the fan. In the second phase, the system is modified to minimize the leakages and streamlining the flow inside the cowling. Vane layout of the fan is changed to decrease the fan power consumption and fan loses. Improvement in the efficiency of the cooling system without compromising on engine performance has been achieved. Quantitatively, a decrease of 43% fan power consumption and 3 dB of the noise level have been achieved.
CitationGarg, M., Kumar, O., Prasad, N., and Swamy, V., "Experimental and CFD Simulation-Based Analytical Optimization of Air-Cooling System for a Small 4-Stroke Scooter Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-32-0026, 2005.
- Chua Kiat Bilanin Alan J. Olson M. Eugene “Engine Compartment Heat Rejection Analysis via Navier-Stroke Simulations” SAE 932971 21 31 1993
- Habchi Sami D. Ho Simon Y. Elder J. Singh Sati “Airflow and Thermal Analysis of Underhood Engine Enclosures” SAE 940316 1 11 1994
- Facchini B. Migliorini G. Vacca A. Toderi G. “Air Cooling System for Small Internal Combustion Engine Experimental Analysis” SETC 2001-01-1791/4213 675 685 2001
- Eck Brono FANS Pergamon Press First English 1961
- Blair Frank P. Fan Handbook McGraw-Hill Professional First 1997