This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study on Supercharged HCCI Natural Gas Engines
Published October 12, 2005 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
The possibility of turbocharging into a natural gas homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engine is investigated experimentally and by simulation. Experiments are performed using a four-cylinder naturally aspirated engine fitted with an external supercharger and a butterfly valve for back pressure control to simulate a turbocharger with efficiency of 0.64. Based on the test results, the performance and emission characteristics are studied in detail through numerical one-dimensional cycle simulations. The results indicate that the thermal efficiency can be improved by raising the engine compression ratio and lowering the turbocharging pressure. At an engine compression ratio of 21 and turbocharging pressure of 1.9 bar, the brake thermal efficiency reaches 0.43, with NOx emissions of only 10 ppm or less. The cycle simulations demonstrate that performance comparable to that achieved in the external supercharging test can be obtained by optimizing engine and turbocharger specifications.
CitationSAKO, T., MORIMOTO, S., Fujimoto, H., OKADA, R. et al., "A Study on Supercharged HCCI Natural Gas Engines," SAE Technical Paper 2005-32-0021, 2005.
- Najt. P.M. D.E. Foster, “Compression-ignited Charge Combustion” SAE paper 830264 1983
- Thring, R. H. “Homogeneous-Charge Compression Ignition(HCCI) Engine” SAE paper 892068 1989
- Christensen Magnus Johansson Bengt Amnjus Per Mauss Fabian “Supercharged Homogeous Charge Compression Ignition” SAE 980787 1998
- Jun Deasu Iida Norimasa “A Study of High Combustion Efficiency and Low CO Emission in a Natural Gas HCCI Engine” SAE paper 2004-01-1974 2004
- SAKO Takahiro Nakai Shunsaku Moriya Koji Iida Norimasa “Performance and Exhaust Emission in a Natural-Gas Fueled Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine” Transactions of Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 70 694 2004 197 203
- Morimoto S. Kawabata Y. Sakurai T. Amano T. “Operating Characteristics of a Natural Gas-Fired Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine(Performance Improvement Using EGR)” SAE paper 2001-01-1034 2001
- Iida Norimasa “Combustion Analysis of Methanol-Fueled Active Thermo-Atmosphere Combustion(ATAC) Engine Using a Spectroscopic Observation” SAE paper 940684 1994
- Ohta Yasuhiko Furutani Masahiro Kono Masaki Kojima Mitsutaka “Premixed-Compression-Ignition Natural-Gas Engine” JSAE Transactions 31 3 2000 39 43
- Ishiyama Takuji Shioji Masahiro Tanaka Hiroki Nakagawa Hideki Nakai Shunsaku “Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Premixed Charge Compression Ignition Engine Fueled with Natural Gas Employing Direct Injection” JSAE Lecture Proceedings 236 2002 15 20
- Tominaga R. Morimoto S. Kawabata Y. Matsuo S. Amano T. “Effects of Heterogeneous EGR on the Natural Gas Fueled HCCI Engine Using Experiments, CFD and Detailed Kinetics” SAE paper, 2004-01-0945 2004
- Livengood, J.C. Wu, P.C. “Correlation of Autoignition Phenomenon in Internal Combustion Engines and Rapid Compression Machines” Proceedings of Fifth International Symposium on Combustion 347 1955
- Sako Takahiro Nakai Syunsaku Moriya Koji Iida Norimasa “Improvement of Performance in a Natural-Gas Fueled Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Engine with Surpercharged” Transactions of Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers 71 707 2005