This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Flow Field Analysis of a Carburettor Using CFD
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 19, 2005 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Event: SIAT 2005
The objective of present study is to predict and analyze the flow through the Carburettor for two different throttle opening conditions. The studies have been carried out by Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) software and the prediction has been validated with experimental data. Three dimensional geometrical models of two different throttle positions namely 50% opening and wide open throttle (100% throttle opening) were created using the commercially available software. The mesh was generated using the Tet-hybrid scheme which includes primarily of tetrahedral mesh elements but may also include hexahedral, pyramidal and wedge elements. The pressure boundary conditions are used to define the fluid pressure at the inlet and outlet of the carburettor. The steady state flow field analysis inside a carburettor has been simulated using the Multiphase mixture model and Langrangian Discrete phase model.
The CFD plots give informative pictures of the flow field, which will help the designer to understand the effect of various components of carburettor. The predicted air and fuel flow rate shows good agreement with the experimental results. The result obtained from the present study indicate that the model can be used as a tool to understand the effect of various parts of carburettor for optimization and to reduce the number of experiments.
CitationSivakumar, M., Balasubramanian, V., and Ganesan, V., "Flow Field Analysis of a Carburettor Using CFD," SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-058, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-26-058.
- Versteeg, H. K. Malalasekara W. “An Introduction To Computational Fluid Dynamics -The Finite Volume Method” Longman Group Limited 1995
- Shaw, C. T. “Using Computational Dynamics Prentice Hall” 0-13-928714 1992
- Fischer, C. H. Carburetion 1 2 Chapman and Hall Ltd. 1963
- Newton, K. Seeds, W. “The Motor Vehicle” London Iliffe Books Ltd. 1980
- Taylor, C. F. “The Internal Combustion Engine in Theory and Practice” 1 2 The MIT Press 1984
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw Hill International Edition 1988
- Harrington, D. L. “Analysis and Digital Simulation of Carburetor Metering” SAE paper 700082
- Xin, W. B. Chao, F. Y. “Numerical Simulation of Two Phase Flow in Motorcycle Carburetor” ISMF Beijing, China 1997
- Yun, H. J. “Theoretical studies of Fuel Droplet Evaporation and Transportation in a Carburetor Venturi” SAE paper 760289