This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fluid Dynamic 1D Modeling for the Design Optimization of Reed Valve Devices in Secondary Air Injection Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2005 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Modeling and studies on reed valve devices are topics often dealt with when designing internal combustion engine intake and exhaust systems.
This paper describes an activity about the modeling and the optimization potentiality of an engine equipped with a secondary air injection system by means of a reed valve device.
The first step of the work dealt with the development and tuning of a non-linear Finite Element model of reed valve and with the integration of this model into a one-dimensional fluid-dynamics simulation code. In particular during this phase the potentialities of the method were tested by implementing the FE model both in a 1D University code and in a 1D commercial code (by means of a provided interface for User Defined Elements).
In the second step of the work the simulation results were analyzed for different engine operating points. Comparisons with experimental data are presented for a particular reed configuration, while extrapolations to optimized configurations are discussed analyzing the influence of the involved parameters.
CitationBattistoni, M. and Grimaldi, C., "Fluid Dynamic 1D Modeling for the Design Optimization of Reed Valve Devices in Secondary Air Injection Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-080, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-24-080.
- Wu H. C. Yang S. M. Wang A. Hao H. C. “Emission Control Technologies for 50 and 125 cc Motorcycles in Taiwan” SAE Paper 980938 1998
- Postrioti L. Battistoni M. “Analisi Sperimentale del Funzionamento di Sistemi Catalitici con Apporto di Aria Secondaria” Proceedings of the Eighth MIS-MAC Congress Prato, Italy 2004
- Battistoni M. Grimaldi C.N. Baudille R. Fiaccavento M. Marcacci M. “Development of a Model for the Simulation of a Reed Valve Based Secondary Air Injection System for SI Engines” SAE Paper 2005-01-0224 2005
- Battistoni M. Grimaldi C. N. Baudille R. “Simulazione di Motori a Combustione Interna con Immissione di Aria Secondaria allo Scarico Tramite Valvola a Lamella” Proceedings of the Fifty-Ninth ATI National Congress Genova, Italy 2004
- Baudille R. “Sviluppo di Modelli di Interazione Fluido-Struttura per la Simulazione di Valvole Automatiche a Lamella” University of Perugia Italy 2005
- Mitianiec W. Bogusz A. “Theoretical and Experimental Study of Gas Flow Through Reed Valve in a Two-Stroke Engine” SAE Paper 961802 1996
- Dave A. Siddiqui A. Probst D. Hampson G. J. “Development of a Reed Valve Model for Engine Simulations for Two-Stroke Engines” SAE Paper 2004-01-1455 2004
- Meirovitch L. “Elements of Vibration Analysis” McGraw-Hill 1986
- Blakely K. “MSC Nastran User Manual V68” MSC Software Corporation 1995
- Baudille R. Biancolini R. E. “Analisi del Comportamento Dinamico di una Lamella per Motori ad Accensione Comandata Due Tempi” Proceedings of the XXXI AIAS National Congress (Associazione Italiana per l’Analisi delle Sollecitazioni) Parma, Italy 2002
- Winterbone D. E. Pearson R. J. “Theory of Engine Manifold Design - Wave Action Methods for IC Engines” Professional Engineering Publishing Limited London 2000
- Benson R. S. “The Thermodynamics and Gas Dynamics of Internal Combustion Engines” Clarendon Press Oxford 1982
- Heywood J.D. “Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill 1988
- AVL Boost User's Guide AVL List GmbH 2003
- Giannattasio P. Dadone, A. “Applications of a high resolution shock-capturing scheme to the unsteady flow computation in engine ducts” IMechE 1991 C430/055 119 126
- Chang S. C. To W. “A New Numerical Framework for Solving Conservation Laws - The Method of Space-Time Conservation Element and Solution Element” 1991
- Briz G. Giannattasio P. “Applicazione dello Schema Numerico Conservation Element-Solution Element al Calcolo del Flusso Non Stazionario nei Condotti dei Motori a C.I. Proceedings of the Forty-Eighth ATI National Congress Taormina, Italy 1993
- Chang S. C. “The Method of Space-Time Conservation Element and Solution Element - A New Approach for Solving the Navier-Stokes and Euler Equations” Journal of Computational Physics 119 295 324 1995
- Wu W. Ross M. “Spark-Ignition Engine Fuel Consumption Modeling” SAE Paper 1999-01-0554 1999