This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Global Flow Characterization of a Four Cylinder Spark Ignition Engine during the Intake Phase
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2005 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
The paper aims to analyze the fluid dynamic behavior of a production internal combustion engine. A four-cylinder, spark-ignition engine was examined at the steady flow rig in order to have detailed information on the global volumetric efficiency. To this purpose the dimensionless discharge and the flow coefficients were used and the effect of the valve lift and throttle valve opening on the head permeability was investigated. The experimental analysis showed that the throttle angle significantly influences the fluid dynamic efficiency of the intake system. Specifically, the influence of the throttling process upsurges with the valve lift. Moreover, a comparison between the volumetric efficiency of the four cylinders was carried out and some differences in the permeability of the individual cylinder were found. Finally, the global analysis depicted that all experimental data can be correlated by a single curve if a new dimensionless plot is adopted and that it is possible to use the same plot to correlate data referred to different engines.
CitationALGIERI, A., BOVA, S., and DE BARTOLO, C., "Global Flow Characterization of a Four Cylinder Spark Ignition Engine during the Intake Phase," SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-075, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-24-075.
- Pignone G. A., Vercelli U., Motori ad Alta Potenza Specifica, Nada G. Ed., (Italian language), 2003.
- Heywood J.B., Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, Mc Graw Hill International Edition, 1988.
- Smith T., Fickensher L. A., Osborne R. P., “Engine Breathing – Steady Speed Volumetric Efficiency and its Validity Under Transient Engine Operation”, SAE paper n. 1999-01-0212, 1999.
- Xu H., “Some Critical Technical Issues on the Steady Flow Testing of Cylinder Heads”, SAE paper n. 2001-01-1308, 2001.
- Blair G. P., McBurney D., McDonald P., McKernan P., Fleck R., “ Some Fundamental Aspects of the Discharge Coefficients of Cylinder Porting and Ducting Restrictions”, SAE paper n. 980764, 1998.
- Blair G. P., Drouin F. M. M., “Relationship Between Discharge Coefficients and Accuracy of Engine Simulation”, SAE paper n. 962527, 1996.
- Bohac S. V., Landfahrer K., “Effects of Pulsating Flow on Exhaust Port Flow Coefficients”, SAE paper n. 1999-01-0214, 1999.
- Jasak H., Luo J. Y., Kaludercic B., Gosman A. D., Echtle H., Liang Z., Wirbeleit F., Wierse M., Rips S., Werner A., Fernstrom G., Karlsson H., “Rapid CFD Simulation of Internal Combustion Engines”, SAE paper 1999-01-1185, 1999.
- Algieri A., Bova S., De Bartolo C., “Influence of Valve Lift and Throttle Angle on Intake Flow in a High Performance Four-Stroke Motorcycle Engine”, submitted to Journal of Engineering for Gas Tubines and Power, 2005.
- Auriemma M., Caputo G., Corcione F. E., Valentino G., Riganti G., “Fluid-Dynamic Analysis of the Intake System for a HDDI Diesel Engine by STAR-CD Code and LDA Technique”, SAE paper n. 2003-01-0002, 2003.
- Li Y., Zhao H., Leach B., Ma T., Ladommatos N., “Optimisation of In-Cylinder Flow for Fuel Stratification in a Three-Valve Twin-Spark-Plug SI Engine”, SAE paper n. 2003-01-0635, 2003.
- Fukatani I., Watanabe E., “Air Flow through Poppet Inlet Valves – Analysis of Static and Dynamic Flow Coefficients”, SAE paper n. 820154, 1982.