This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Optimisation of an Intake System for an Off Shore Race Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2005 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
In this paper the fluid dynamic behaviour of a high-performance airbox for a naturally aspirated off shore race engine is analysed by varying its geometrical configuration.
In fact, since the introduction by the Union International Motonautique of more restricting rules and boat shape constraints, the design of off-shore engines airboxes has become particularly challenging especially for the introduction of an air restrictor near the inlet to limit the maximum engine power.
Accordingly, to optimize the time-to-race, the work has been developed using a numerical approach with the following objectives:
- the maximum as possible reduction of the fluid dynamic losses;
- an uniform distribution of the mass flow rate among the 12 cylinders (a typical off-shore engine subdivision).
To this aim, a design procedure has been proposed: it consists of a preliminary 3D steady state analysis of different airbox geometries to identify the best configuration in terms of the previously defined targets, and a subsequent unsteady 3D-1D-coupled approach whose results are representative of the actual airbox-engine behaviour.
The defined procedure allowed the choice of an optimal airbox geometry and, finally, the improved performance has been experimentally verified.
CitationAndreassi, L., Mulone, V., and Rocco, V., "Design and Optimisation of an Intake System for an Off Shore Race Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-068, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-24-068.
- Ramnefors M. et al. “Accuracy of Drag Predictions on Cars Using CFD - Effect of Grid Refinement and Turbulence Models” SAE Paper 960681
- Werner, F. Frik S. Schulze, J. “Aerodynamic Optimization of the Opel Calibra ITC Racing Car Using Experiments and Computational Fluid Dynamics” SAE 980040
- Agathangelou Ben Gascoyne, Mike ”Aerodynamic Design Considerations of a Formula 1 Racing Car” SAE 980399
- Maynes B.D.J. Kee R.J. Kenny R.G. Fleck R. “Prediction of Formula 1 Engine and Airbox Performance using Coupled Virtual 4-Stroke and CFD Simulations” SAE paper n. 2002-01-3318
- Maynes B.D.J. Kee R.J. Kenny R.G. Fleck R. Virtual Engineering of Formula 1 Engines and Airboxes” AutoTechnology International Magazine for Engineering, Production and Management 4 August 2003
- Takizawa M. Uno T. Oue T Yura T. “A study of Gas Exchange Process Simulation of an Automotive Multi-cylinder Internal Combustion Engine” SAE paper 820410 1982
- Grimaldi C. Battistoni M. Cavalletti M. Reichenbach C. Analysis and Design of a New Air-Scoop for a Lamborghini Off Shore Racing engine SAE paper n. 2004-01-1855
- FLUENT Inc. “GAMBIT and FLUENT User’s guide”
- Lax P. D. Wendroff B. “Different schemes for hyperbolic equations with high order of accuracy” Comm. Pure App. Math. 17 381 398 1964
- Courant R Friederichs K. O. Lewy H. “Uber die partiellendifferenz-leichungen der mathematischen phisik” Mathematische Annalen 1928 100 32 74 Traduzione in inglese in IBM journal 1967 215 234
- Poloni M. Winterbone D.E. Nichols J.R. “Calculation of pressure and temperature discontinuity in a pipe by the method of characteristics and the two-step differential Lax-Wendroff method” Int. Symp. Flows in Internal Combustion Engines, FED, 62, ASME, Annual Winter Meeting Boston 13–18, Dec 1987
- Johnson R. “The Handbook of Fluid dynamics”
- Andreassi L. De Vita A. Di Angelo L. “CFD Analysis of Engines: an Advanced Approach Based on Codes Dynamically Coupled” Proceedings of ICES03 2003 Spring Technical Conference of the ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Salzburg, Austria May 11–14 2003 ASME paper#ICES 2003-680
- Andreassi L. De Vita A. Mulone V. “CFD Analysis of High Performance Internal Combustion Engine Intake Systems. International Conference On Vehicle” Alternative Fuel Systems & Enviromental Protection (VAFSEP) Dublin, Ireland 2004