This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thermal and Transport Properties of Diesel Fuel and their Effect on Injection Modelling
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published September 11, 2005 by Consiglio Nazionale delle Ricerche in Italy
Annotation ability available
Knowledge on the physical-chemical properties of diesel fuel is highly important for the performance of the fuel injection and combustion systems of modern engines. As real diesel fuels are complex mixtures of aliphatic and aromatic hydrocarbons, it is generally difficult to obtain their properties in the required pressure and temperature range, either theoretically or by experiment. Nevertheless, modelling the basic diesel fuel as a component mixture with a defined composition may be a suitable approximation of the reality. In this work, the mixture of n-decane (90%) and 1-methylnaphthalene (10%) is chosen as representative for thermodynamic and transport properties of diesel fuels . The influence of these properties on the performance of two injection systems is studied by numerical simulation.
CitationČaika, V. and Dörr, N., "Thermal and Transport Properties of Diesel Fuel and their Effect on Injection Modelling," SAE Technical Paper 2005-24-054, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-24-054.
- OENORM EN 590: 2004 04 01. Diesel Fuel.
- Cibulka, I., Malijevsky A., and Novak, J.P. State Behaviour of n-decane and 1-methylnaphthalene Mixture. Inst. of Chem. Technology, Prague, 1994.
- Maier, V. and Svoboda, V. Enthalpies of Vaporisation of Organic Compounds. IU-PAC Chemical Data Series, 23 (1985), 113–125.
- Battino, R. Solubility Data Series. 10 vol. Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1982.
- API Technical Data Book: Petroleum Refining. Amer. Petroleum Institute. Washington, D.C., 1986.
- Krahn, U.G., Luft J. Liquid Viscosity of n-decane. Journal of Chem. Engineering Data, 39 (1994), 670.
- Reid, R.C., Prausnitz, J.M. and Sherwood, T.K. Properties of Gases and Liquids. 3rd ed. New-York: McGraw-Hill, 1977.
- Dieselmotor-Management. Hrsg.: Robert Bosch GmbH. 3. Auflage. Braunschweig: Vieweg, 2002.
- AVL Hydsim. Reference Manual. Graz, 2005.