This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Biomechanical Analysis of Human Abdominal Impact Responses and Injuries through Finite Element Simulations of a Full Human Body Model
Published November 09, 2005 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Human abdominal response and injury in blunt impacts was investigated through finite element simulations of cadaver tests using a full human body model of an average-sized adult male. The model was validated at various impact speeds by comparing model responses with available experimental cadaver test data in pendulum side impacts and frontal rigid bar impacts from various sources. Results of various abdominal impact simulations are presented in this paper. Model-predicted abdominal dynamic responses such as force-time and force-deflection characteristics, and injury severities, measured by organ pressures, for the simulated impact conditions are presented.
Quantitative results such as impact forces, abdominal deflections, internal organ stresses have shown that the abdomen responded differently to left and right side impacts, especially in low speed impact. Results also indicated that the model exhibited speed sensitive response characteristics and the compressibility of the abdomen significantly influenced the overall impact response in the simulated impact conditions. This study demonstrates that the development of a validated finite element human body model can be useful for abdominal injury assessment. Internal organ injuries, which are difficult to detect in experimental studies with human cadavers due to the difficulty of instrumentation, may be more easily identified with a validated finite element model through stress-strain analysis.
CitationRuan, J., El-Jawahri, R., Barbat, S., and Prasad, P., "Biomechanical Analysis of Human Abdominal Impact Responses and Injuries through Finite Element Simulations of a Full Human Body Model," SAE Technical Paper 2005-22-0016, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-22-0016.
- Augenstein, J. Bowen, J. Perdeck, E. Sinder, M. Stratton, J. Horton, T. Rao, A. Digges, K. Malliaris, A. Sreps, J 2000 Injury patterns in near-side collisions SAE Paper No. 2000-01-0634
- Blincoe, L. Seay, A. Zaloshnja, E. Miller, E.T. Romano, E. Luchter, S. Spicer, R 2002 The economic impact of motor vehicle crashes, 2000 May 2002
- Cavanaugh, J.M. Nyquist, G.W. Goldberg, S.J. King, A.I. 1986 Lower abdominal tolerance and response Proc. 30 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 41 63 SAE Paper No. 861878 . Society of Automotive Engineers, New York
- Fung, Y.C. 2002 The application of biomechanics to the understanding of injury and healing. In Accidental Injury Biomechanics and Prevention Nahum A.M. Melvin J.W. 1 11 Springer-Verlag New York
- Furusu, K. Watanabe, I. Kato, C. Miki, K. Hasegawa, J. 2001 Fundamental study of side impact analysis using the finite element model of human thorax JSAE Review 22 195 199
- Happee, R. Hoofman, M. Kroonenberg, AJ. Wismans, J 1998 A Mathematical human body model for frontal and rearward seated automotive impact loading Proc. 42 nd Stapp Car Crash Conference 72 86 SAE Paper No. 983150 . Society of Automotive Engineers, New York
- Hardy, W.N. Schneider, L.W. Rouhana, S.W. 2001 Abdominal impact response to rigid-bar, seatbelt and airbag loading Stapp Crash Journal 45 1 32
- Howard, M. Thomas, A. Koch, W. Watson, J. Hardy, R 2000 Validation and application of a finite element pedestrian humanoid model for use in pedestrian accident simulations Proceedings of IRCOBI Conference 101 119
- Iwamoto, M. Kisanuki, Y. Watanabe, I. Furusu, K. Miki, K. Hasegawa, J 2002 Development of a finite element model of the total human body model for safety (THUMS) and application to injury reconstruction Proceedings of IRCOBI Conference 31 42
- Jost, R. Nurick, G.N. 2001 Finite element simulation of the biomechanical response of the human body Proceedings of IRCOBI Conference 255 268
- Lau, V.K. Viano, D.C. 1981 An experimental study on hepatic injury from belt-restraint loading Aviat Space Environ Med 52 10 611 617
- Lee, J.B. Yang, K.H. 2001 Development of a finite element model of the human abdomen Stapp Car Crash Journal 45 79 100
- Lizee, E. Song, E. Robin, S. Lecoz, J 1998 Finite element model of the human thorax validated in frontal, oblique and lateral impact: a tool to evaluate new restraint systems Proceedings of IRCOBI Conference 527 543
- McElhaney, J.H. Stalnaker, R.L. Roberts, V.L. Snyder, R.G. 1971 Door crashworthiness criteria Proc. 15 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 489 517 SAE Paper No. 710864 . Society of Automotive Engineers, New York
- Melvin, J.W. Stalnaker, R.L. Roberts, V.L. Trollope, M.L. 1973 Impact injury mechanisms in abdominal organs Proc. 17 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 115 125 SAE Paper No. 730968 . Society of Automotive Engineers, New York
- Miller, C.D. Blyth, P. Civil, I.D.S. 2000 Lumbar transverse process fractures – a sentinel marker of abdominal organ injuries Injury, Int. J. Care Injured 33 773 776
- Rabinovici, R. Ovadia, P. Mathiak, G. Abdullah, F. 1999 Abdominal injuries associated with lumbar spine fracture in blunt trauma Injury, Int. J. Care Injured 30 471 474
- Ricci, L 1980 NCSS Statistics: passenger cars The University of Michigan, Highway Safety Research Institute Ann Arbor
- Rouhana, S.W. Foster, M.E. 1985 Lateral impact – an analysis of the statistics in the NCSS Proc. 29 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 79 98 SAE Paper No. 851727 . Society of Automotive Engineers, New York
- Rouhana, S.W. Ridella, S.A. Viano, D.C. 1986 The effect of limiting impact force on abdominal injury: a preliminary study Proc. 30 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 65 79 SAE Paper No. 861879 . Society of Automotive Engineers, New York
- Rouhana, S.W. Elhagediad, A. M. Walbridge, A. Hardy, W. N. Schneider, L. W. 2001 Development of a reusable, rate-sensitive abdomen for the Hybird III family of dummies Stapp Car Crash Journal 45 35 61
- Rouhana, S.W. 2002 Biomechanics of abdominal trauma Accidental Injury – Biomechanics and Prevention Nahum A.M. Melvin, J.W. 405 453 Springer-Verlag New York
- Ruan, J.S. El-Jawahri, R. Chai, L. Barbat, S. Prasad, P. 2003 Prediction and analysis of human thoracic impact responses and injuries in cadaver impacts using a full human body finite element model Stapp Crash Journal 47 299 321
- Thollon, T. Arnoux, PJ. Kayvantash, K. Cavallero, C. Brunet, C 2002 Human injury evaluation using HUMOS radioss finite element model Post Section, IRCOBI Conference
- Viano, D.C. 1989 Biomechanical responses and injuries in blunt lateral impact Proc. 33 rd Stapp Car Crash Conference 113 142 SAE Paper No. 892432 . Society of Automotive Engineers, New York
- Walfisch, G. Fayon, A. Tarriere, C. Rosey, J.P. Guillon, F. Got, C. Patel, A. Stalnaker, R.L. 1980 Designing of a dummy’s abdomen for detecting injuries in side impact collisions International IRCOBI Conferece Proceeding 149 164