This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Thoracic Injury Investigation using PMHS in Frontal Airbag Out-of-Position Situations
Published November 09, 2005 by The Stapp Association in United States
Annotation ability available
Many studies have reported multiple rib fractures sustained by an Out-of-Position (OOP) driver subjected to a frontal airbag deployment, but the injury mechanisms and thresholds remain unclear. Two successive phases occur during the bag deployment: punch-out loading of the thorax, followed by a membrane effect (Horsch et al. 1990). The aim of this study was to investigate the thoracic injuries generated by each phase separately. Tests of nine post-mortem human surrogates (PMHS) were carried out on a static test bench using a driver side airbag module described by Petit et al. (2003). The steering wheel was replaced by a plate in order to increase the loading generated by the airbag. Three loading configurations were performed: membrane only, punch-out only, and both types combined. The membrane-only tests were performed with the thorax initially positioned at 13, 78 and 128 mm from the plate in order to vary the load magnitude. The punch-out and the combined tests were performed with the thorax initially 8 mm from the module. Accelerometers and angular rate sensors were fixed on the sternum and on the first, fourth, and eighth thoracic vertebrae of the PMHS. Ribs 2 to 6 were instrumented with strain gauges. The reaction force of the bag on the plate was measured using four 2-axis load cells. Results show that both pure punch-out and pure membrane loading can result in thoracic injuries. However, the rib fracture locations seemed to differ from one type of loading to the other. Moreover, for the same initial distance between the airbag module and the thorax, the injuries were more severe in the combined effect tests than in the pure punch-out or pure membrane. The nine PMHS tests formed a matrix allowing validation of a finite element model and further analysis of thoracic injury mechanisms and thresholds.
|Technical Paper||Early Detection of Rollovers with Associated Test Development|
|Technical Paper||The Use of the Dracr Airbag Simulation Model as a Design Tool|
|Technical Paper||General Motors Driver Air Cushion Restraint System|
CitationLebarbé, M., Potier, P., Baudrit, P., Petit, P. et al., "Thoracic Injury Investigation using PMHS in Frontal Airbag Out-of-Position Situations," SAE Technical Paper 2005-22-0015, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-22-0015.
- Crandall, J. R. Duma, S. M. Bass, C. R. Pilkey, W. D. Kuppa, S. M. Khaewpong, N. Eppinger, R. H. 1998 Thoracic response and trauma in air bag deployment test with out-of-position small female surrogates Journal of Crash Prevention and Injury Control 1 2 101 102
- Cheng, R. Yang, K. H. Levine R. S. King, A. I. Morgan, R 1982 Injuries to the cervical spine caused by a distributed fontal load to the chest SAE Technical Paper 821155 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA
- Eppinger, R. H. Marcus, J. H. Morgan, R.M. 1984 Development of dummy and injury index for NHTSA’s thoracic side impact protection research program SAE Technical Paper 840885 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA
- Fayon, A. Tarriere, C. Walfisch, G. GOT, C. Patel, A. 1975 Thorax of 3 Points Belt Wearers During Crash Proc. 19 th Stapp Car Crash Conference Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc.
- Horsch, J. Culver, C. 1979 A study of driver interactions with an inflating air cushion Stapp Car Crash Journal 23 797 823
- Horsch, J. Lau, I. Andrzejak, D. Viano, D. Melvin, J. Pearson, J. Cok, D. Miller, G. 1990 Assessment of air bag deployment loads Stapp Car Crash Journal 34 267 288
- Kent, R. W. Crandall J. Patrie J Fertile J 2002 Radiographic detection of rib fractures: a restraint-based study of occupants in car crashes Traffic Injury Prevention 3 49 57
- Kleinberger, M Summers, L 1997 Mechanisms of injuries for adults and children resulting from airbag interaction Proc. 41 st Annual AAAM 405 420
- Lizée, E. Robin, S. Song, E. Bertholon, N. Le Coz, J-Y. Besnault, B Lavaste, F 1998 Development of a 3D finite element model of the human body Proc. 42 th Stapp Car Crash Journal 1 23 Society of Automotive Engineers Warrendale, PA
- Melvin, J. W. Horsch J. D. McCleary, J. D. Wideman, L. C. Jensen, J. L. Wolanin, M.J. 1993 Assessment of air bag deployment loads with the small female hybrid III dummy SAE Technical Paper 933119 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA
- Petit, P. Baudrit, P. Trosseille, X Gopal, M 2003 Finite element simulation study of a frontal driver airbag deployment for out-of-position situations Proc. 47 th Stapp Car Crash Conference 211 241
- Sacreste, J. Brun-Cassan, F. Fayon, A. Tarrière, C. Got, C. Patel, A 1982 Proposal for a thorax tolerance level in side impacts based on 62 tests performed with cadavers having known bone condition SAE Technical Paper 821157 . Society of Automotive Engineers, Warrendale, PA