This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Cumulative Fatigue Damage in the Diesel Engines application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 22, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The development of a new design criterion was necessary to provide the application of the engine MWM TD229-4 in a new agricultural tractor.
The engine is a four stroke, Diesel cycle with four in line cylinders and it was applied to the tractor CNH TL75/85/95. The structural exigencies imposed to the tractor in a bench test demanded the study of a design criterion based on cumulative fatigue damage which utilized the Palmgren-Miner linear cumulative damage rule. This criterion was utilized in substitution of the current fatigue criterion by modified Goodman.
The experimental tests have known loads and cycles where the modified Goodman criterion does not present a good correlation because it is developed to stress base, which does not consider plastic strains.
The results obtained through Palmgren-Miner rule, in fatigue cumulative damage calculations, allowed to determine the engine structural components which needed to be modified to avoid crack opening during the experimental tests.
CitationBarboza, W., Raminelli, L., and Antonelli, J., "Cumulative Fatigue Damage in the Diesel Engines application," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-4110, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-4110.
- Mitchel, M. R. Fatigue Analysis for Design I Seminário Internacional de fadiga da SAE Brasil Seção São Paulo 2000
- Dowling, N. E. Mechanical Behavior of Materials Prentice Hall New Jersey 1998
- Dowling, N. E. Mean Stress Effects in Stress-Life and Strain-Life Fatigue SAE Technical Paper No. F2004/51 2004
- Dowling, N. E. A Discussion of Methods for Estimating Fatigue Life SAE Transactions 820691 1982
- Landgraf, R. W. LaPoint, N. R. Cyclic Stress-Strain Concepts Applied to Component Fatigue Life Prediction SAE Transactions, Technical Paper No. 740280 1974
- Miner, M. A. Cumulative Damage in Fatigue Journal of Applied mechanic 12 Trans. ASME 67 1945 A159 A164
- Mitchell, M. R. A Unified Predictive Technique for the Fatigue Resistance of Cast Ferrous-Based Metals and High Hardness Wrought Steels SAE Transactions 8 790890 1979
- Boller, C. H. R. Seeger, T. Materials Data for Cyclic Loading Materials Science Monographs 42E Part E: Cast and Welded Metals Elsevier Science Publishers B. V. Amsterdam 0-444-42874-7 1987
- Socie, D. Variable Amplitude Fatigue Life Estimation Models SAE Transactions 820689 1982
- Fatigue Design Handbook SAE Inc. AE10 Warrendale 0-89883-011-7 1988
- Topper, T. H. Lam, T. S. Effective Strain-fatigue Life Data or Variable Amplitude Fatigue Int. J. Fatigue 19 S137 S143 1997
- Madayag, A. F. Metal Fatigue: Theory and Design John Wiley & Sons 1969
- Dieter, G. E. Mechanical Metalurgy, SI Metric Edition McGraw-Hill 1988
- Shigley, J. E. Mechanical Engineering design McGraw-Hill 1988
- Hertzberg, R. W. Deformation and Fracture Mechanic of Engineering Materials John Wiley & Sons 1996
- Mercer, I. Malton, G. Draper, J. Investigating fatigue failures using analysis and testing - some do's and don'ts EIS Seminar July 2003
- Norton, R. L. Machine Design An Integrated Approach Prentice Hall New Jersey 2000
- Fatemi, A. Yangt, L. Cumulative fatigue damage and life prediction theories: a survey of the state of the art for homogeneous materials Int. J. Fatigue 20 1 9 34 1998
- Kuroda, M. Extremely low cycle fatigue life prediction based on a new cumulative fatigue damage model Int. J. Fatigue 24 699 703 2001
- Standard Practices for Cycle Counting in Fatigue Analysis, standard ASTM 1990
- DuQuesnay, D. L. MacDougall, C. Dabayeh, A. Topper, T. H. Notch Fatigue Behavior as Influenced by Periodic Overloads Int. J. Fatigue 17 2 91 99 1995
- Dabayeh, A. A. Xu, R. X. Du, B. P. Topper, T. H. Fatigue of Cast Aluminum Alloys Under Constant and Variable-amplitude Fatigue Int. J. Fatigue 18 2 95 104 1996