This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The application of Design of Experiments as a support tool for a Drive Shaft retention system development.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 22, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the automotive industry it is perceived a continuous time decreasing for new vehicles models launches, as an increasing of customer expectations that the new launches will not present problems due to lack of manufacturing process or due to projects not properly tested. Project or process adjustments during vehicle serial production are not acceptable anymore due to current market competition. In this way the Design of Experiments (DOE) came up to help the industry in set the optimum adjustments for products and process parameters, even in the beginning stages of product development. This paper presents an application of DOE as a support tool for the development of a Drive Shaft (DS) retention system. The steps of a generic model for industrial experimentation were followed in order to develop this case study. This generic model covers all the steps of planning and conducting of an experiment. As a result, a reliable product was obtained with optimised dimensional parameters for the quality characteristics and with suitable tolerances for the manufacturing process, added to a big decreasing on the product development time
CitationFlesch, G. and Jaskulski, L., "The application of Design of Experiments as a support tool for a Drive Shaft retention system development.," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-4034, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-4034.
- CUNHA, G.D. Tecnologias para Desenvolvimento do Produto. Notas de Aula 1998
- MICROSOFT EXCEL. User's guide Microsoft Co. Redmond, WA
- MILTON, J.S. ARNOLD, J.C. Introduction to Probability and Statistics Principles and Applications for Engineering and the Computing Siences 3rd McGraw-Hill, Inc. 1995
- MONTGOMERY, Douglas C. Design and Analysis of Experiments 5th Ed. New York John Wiley 1997
- PIERBURG, Bernd Gleichlaufgelenkwellen für Personenkraftfarhrzeuge Verlang Moderne Industrie Landsberg 1998
- RIBEIRO, J.L.D. Projeto de Experimentos na Otimização de Produtos e Processos. Notas de Aula 1999
- RIBEIRO, J.L.D. FOGLIATO, Flávio S. CATEN, Carla S. T. Minimizing Manufacturing and Quality Costs in Multiresponse Optimization Quality Engineering 13 2 2000-01
- Wagner, P.E. Holzinger, D. W. Miller, F.F. Rzeppa Universal Joint Universal Joint and Driveshaft Design Manual. Advances in Egnineering Series No. 7 The Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc. 1979
- WHAT'S BEST. User's Manual Lindo Systems Inc. Chicago