This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamics of High-Speed Turbomachines Using a Finite Element Procedure based on a Rotor Supported by Fluid Film Bearings
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 22, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Rotor-bearing systems encounter many applications in turbomachinery employed by the aerospace, aeronautical and automotive industries. This paper presents the development of a finite element procedure to analyze the unbalance response of flexible rotors running on fluid film bearings. The shaft finite element model is based on the Timoshenko beam theory, which includes the shear effects, the rotatory inertia and gyroscopic moments. A finite element procedure for solution of the classical Reynolds equation for incompressible fluid films is implemented. The finite element equations of motion for this system are integrated by using the Newmark method. Time-domain and frequency-domain unbalance response are obtained. Numerical results depict some curves of whirl amplitude versus frequency and some plots of the whirl orbit for flexible rotors supported by hydrodynamic journal bearings.
CitationMachado, L., Miranda, W., and de Faria, M., "Dynamics of High-Speed Turbomachines Using a Finite Element Procedure based on a Rotor Supported by Fluid Film Bearings," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-4016, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-4016.
- Childs, D.W. 1993 “Turbomachinery Rotordynamics” McGraw-Hill New York, USA 476p
- Vance, J.M. 1988 “Rotordynamics of Turbomachinery” McGraw-Hill New York, USA 370
- Nelson, H.D. McVaugh, J.M. 1976 “The Dynamics of Rotor-Bearing Systems Using Finite Elements” ASME Journal of Engineering for Industry May 1976 593 600
- Zorzi, E.S. Nelson, H.D. 1977 “Finite Element Simulation of Rotor-Bearing Systems With Internal Damping” ASME Journal of Engineering for Power 71 76
- Nelson, H.D. 1980 “A Finite Rotating Shaft Element Using Timoshenko Beam Theory” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design 102 793 803
- Busse, L. Heiberger, D. Wey, J. 1980 “Aspects of Shaft Dynamics for Industrial Turbines” Brown Boveri Review 67 292 299
- Schlegel, V. 1984 “Vibration Measurement and Monitoring” Dynamics of Rotors - Stability and System Identification Mahrenholtz O. Springer-Verlag, EUA 333 351
- Machado, L.H.J. Silva, L.F.A.T. Faria, M.T.C. 2004 “Design and Development of a Test Rig for Rotors and Journal Bearings” Proceedings of the third Seminar of the Research Center of Hydraulics and Hydric Resources (III Semin-CPH) Federal University of Minas Gerais Belo Horizonte, Brazil 1 4
- Bathe, K.J. 1982 ‘Finite Element Procedures in Engineering Analysis” Prentice-Hall Englewood Cliffs, USA 734
- Faria, M.T.C. 2001 “Some Performance Characteristics of High Speed Gas Lubricated Herringbone Groove Journal Bearings” JSME International Journal 44 775 781
- Faria, M.T.C. 2000 “JBEARING: Program Listing and Manual” Research Notes Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica, Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais Belo Horizonte, Brazil