This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Detailed Study of Ethanol In-cylinder Combustion Behavior by means of a Numerical Virtual Engine Model Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 22, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The paper presents a study made to define the optimal parameter configuration, which enables the mixture preparation, and ignition systems to perform a low-temperature engine start by pure ethanol fuelling without misfiring or failure.
A numerical virtual engine, simulating the behavior of a real small displacement 8 valves passenger car engine, is set up to describe and understand the physical phenomena of mixture preparation, spatial and temporal in-cylinder mixture distribution and the ignition/combustion events.
The complex phenomena, which govern the gas flow patterns and mixture formation in the intake port and the combustion chamber are particularly analyzed during low-temperature engine cranking. Furthermore is discussed the influence of open and closed valve injection modes.
The paper concludes with a presentation of some experimental results obtained from the real engine test rig as well as the complete parameter list, which enables an optimization of the engine layout to achieve a further step below the 10° C threshold of low temperature pure ethanol start performance.
CitationPontoppidan, M., Damasceno, C., Montanari, G., and Bonfiglioli, S., "Detailed Study of Ethanol In-cylinder Combustion Behavior by means of a Numerical Virtual Engine Model Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3989, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3989.
- The European Requirement.” Proceedings from Engine and Environment Graz September 1997
- Bianchi G. Pelloni P. Corcione F. Luppini F. “Numerical Analysis of Passenger Car HSDI Diesel Engines with the 2 nd Generation of Common Rail Injection Systems: The Effect of Multiple Injections on Emissions.” SAE Paper 2001-01-1068
- Immarisio R. Rinolfi, R. “The third generation Direct Injection Diesel engine for Passenger Cars.” ATA Journal 52 1999
- Pontoppidan M. Bella G. Rocco V. “Mixture formation in SI-Engine intake Systems - A simplified theoretical Model with Experimental Verification.” ASME 1996 Spring Congress
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Direct Fuel Injection - A Study of Injector Requirements for Different Mixture Preparation Concepts” SAE Paper 970628
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Improvements of GDI-Injector Optimization Tools for Enhanced SI-Engine Combustion Chamber Layout.” SAE Paper 980494
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Experimental and Numerical Approach to Injection and Ignition Optimization of Lean GDI-Combustion Behavior.” SAE Paper 1999-01-0173
- Pontoppidan Pontoppidan M Di Maio A. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced use of 3-D CFD and Combustion Simulation to Optimize the Development of ECU-Control Algorithms for GDI Spark Ignited Engines.” ICE 99 - Proceedings
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Rocco V. “Enhanced Mixture Preparation Approach for Lean Stratified SI-Combustion by a Combined Use of GDI and Electronically Controlled Valve-Timing.” SAE Paper 2000-01-0532
- Pontoppidan M. Ausiello F. Bella G. Demaio A “Study of the Impact of Variations in the Diesel-Nozzle Geometry Parameters on the Layout of Multiple Injection Strategy.” SAE paper 2002-01-0217
- Pontoppidan M Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. “Study of the Benefits and Inconveniences of a Substantial Increase of the Available Rail-Pressure in GDI-Injector Assemblies” SAE paper 2002-01-1132
- Pontoppidan M. “Combined use of 3D-CFD Simulation and direct Visualization Techniques to decrease the Optimization Procedure Complexity of Combustion chamber Layout and Engine Control Pre-mapping operation necessary for Online Engine Test rig Optimization.” Internationales Symposium für Verbrennungsdiagnostik 2002 Baden-Baden 137 147
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. “Direct Injection for Future SI-Engines - Stand Alone Combustion Layout or Integrated Part of Multi-Function Fuel/Air Management Approach?” SAE paper 2003-01-0540
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Bella G. Demaio A. “Optimization by CFD simulation of Spray formation Parameters to adapt Direct Injection high-pressure Fuel injectors to high-speed SI-engines.” SAE paper 2004-01-0539
- Pontoppidan M. Bonfiglioli S. Damasceno F. Montanari G. “Mixture Preparation Optimization by CFD of a Flex-Vehicle (gasoline/ethanol) Intake System Layout” SAE-Brazil paper 2004
- Pontoppidan M. Gaviani G. Rotondi R Demaio A. “Reduction of Spray Momentum for GDI High-Pressure Injectors - A necessary step to accomplish Series Production of Super-charged DI-engines” SAE paper 2005-01-0104