This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Brake Pad Modal Characteristic Measurement and Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 09, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The modal characteristics of a brake pad are important factors affecting brake squeal. The most frequently used counter-measures for eliminating or reducing squeal, especially at high frequency, are the modification of: the modal frequencies, damping, contact modal shapes or patterns of a pad by making a chamfer or slot, or selecting a different under-layer, lining material or insulator.
This paper describes the development of the methods for the measurement of pad modal characteristics such as modal damping, frequency and contact mode shape. It provides comparison among three methods: accelerometer-hammer, laser-hammer, and laser/non-contact shaker with test data and CAE simulation. Subsequently, laser/non-contact shaker was used to evaluate the process capability of pad manufacturing in terms of modal damping and natural frequency. This method was also employed to investigate the effect of pad chamfer, under-layer and the insulator on pad modal characteristics. An example is provided on reducing squeal by increasing pad damping. Lastly, the method for contact mode shape measurement is provided.
CitationChen, F., Wang, A., Bloomer, J., and Yang, M., "Brake Pad Modal Characteristic Measurement and Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3926, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3926.
- “Standard Method for Measuring Vibration Damping Properties of Materials” 1983
- SAE J1637 “Laboratory Measurement of the Composite Vibration Damping Properties of Materials on a Supporting Steel Bar” 1993
- Singh R. Kung S.W. Sheikh A. Mitchell M. Nandi U. Ransdell M. “Evaluation of Damping Material at Higher Frequencies with Application to Automotive Systems Including Brakes” SAE paper, 951243 1995
- McConnell K. G. “Vibration Testing: Theory and Practice” John Wiley & Sons, Inc 1995
- Ewins D. J. “Modal Testing: Theory, Practice and Application” Second Research Studies Press LTD England 2000
- Chen F. Bloomer Jeff “Brake Pad Modal Characteristic Change due to Pad Chamfer, Under-Layer, and Insulator Altering” Ford NVH Newsletter 6 4 2003
- Chen F. Abdelhamid M.K. Blaschke P. Swayze J. “On Automotive Disc Brake Squeal, Part III: Test and Evaluation” SAE paper 2003-01-1622 2003
- “Automotive Disc Brake Pad Natural Frequency and Damping Test” US Working Group on Brake NVH, SAE J2578 Draft 2005
- Crolla D. A. Lang A. M. “Brake Noise and Vibration - The State of the Art” Proc. of the 17 th Leeds-Lyon Symposium on Tribology 567 572 1990
- Yang S. Gibson R. F. “Brake Vibration and Noise: Reviews, Comments and Proposed Considerations” Proceedings of the 14 th International Modal Analysis Conference II 255 274 1996
- Chen F. Tan C. A. Quaglia R. L. “On Automotive Disc Brake Squeal Part I: Mechanisms and Causes” SAE paper 2003-01-0683 2003
- Kinkaid N.M. O'Reilly O.M. Papadopoulos P. “Review: Automotive Disc Brake Squeal,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 267 105 166 2003