This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Induced Brake Moan Noise in the Coupled Torsional Beam Axle Suspension Module
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 09, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Although several techniques of avoiding the moan noise are recently developed, analysis and design modifications are dependent on the case study and not systematic. In this study, the induced moan noise is analyzed in the coupled torsional beam axle (CTBA) suspension module with a proposed processing technique that lead to a reliable solution to prevent the moan noise. The signal of the moan noise is measured throughout the vehicle test considering the external conditions. The measured signal is analyzed its spectral characteristics with using a wavelet technique and two major spectra of the moan noise which is invisible only with FFT is successfully detected. Also a novel contribution analysis that is based on the frequency response function (FRF) is proposed to determine which component is more contributive for passing through the moan noise in the CTBA suspension module. The result of the current analysis gives a hint to make a design modification plan that expects to decrease the level of the moan noise. After constructing the multi-body model of the vehicle with MSC/ADAMS, the redesign strategy is verified with the responses of the CTBA module as operating the vehicle virtually.
CitationKim, C., Lee, B., Lee, C., and Jeong, H., "Analysis of the Induced Brake Moan Noise in the Coupled Torsional Beam Axle Suspension Module," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3920, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3920.
- Wayne V. N. Arun M. J. Friction Induced Vibration: Brake Moan SAE Technical Paper Series, 951095 1995
- Gugino Antony Janevic John Fecske Laszio Brake Moan Simulation using Flexible Methods in Multibody Dynamics SAE Technical Paper Series, 2001-01-2769 2001
- Hamabe T. Yamazaki I. Yamada K. Matsui H. Nakagaa S. Kawamura M. Study of a Method for Reducing Drum Brake Squeal SAE Technical Paper Series, 1999-01-0144 1999
- Kung Shin-Wei Dunlap K. Brent Ballinger Robert S. SAE Technical Paper Series, 2000-01-0444 2000
- Newland D. E. Random vibrations, spectral and wavelet analysis Third Longman Press
- Akansu Ali N. Haddad Richard A. Multiresolution Signal Decomposition Second Academic Press
- Wavelet Toolbox-User's Manual Math Works