This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving Cam Phaser Performance Using Robust Engineering Techniques
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a robust engineering DOE (design of experiment) completed by hydraulic simulation of a Variable Cam Phaser System based on an L4 IC engine. The robust engineering study focused on the high temperature and low speed portions of overall engine operating conditions where the cam phase rates are slow and oscillation is high. The analysis included a preliminary DOE with multiple noise variables used as the control factors in order to quantify and compound the factors into just two noise levels; best and worst conditions.
Following the noise DOE, a larger DOE study was completed with 16 control variables including phaser, oil control valve and various engine parameters. It was run at 3 engine rpm (signal levels), 2 noise levels, and was analyzed for 3 responses (advancing rate, retarding rate, and oscillation amplitude while holding an intermediate position). These DOE experiments determined potential gains for each design proposal.
CitationGauthier, D., Lichti, T., and Waller, J., "Improving Cam Phaser Performance Using Robust Engineering Techniques," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3903, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3903.
- Wu, Yuin Alan 1998 Taguchi Methods for Robust Design Fairfield, NJ American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Taguchi, G Chowbury, S Wu, Y 2005 Taguchi's Quality Engineering Handbook Hoboken, NJ John Wiley & Sons, Inc
- AMESim User Manual 2002 Imagine S.A.
- Charleux, Eric Blois, France March 2004 Delphi Internal Correspondence
- Blackburn, JF Reethof, G Shearer, Jl 1960 Fluid Power Control Boston MIT & John Wiley & Sons
- Merritt, HE 1967 Hydraulic Control Systems New York John Wiley & Sons
- McCloy, DS Martin, HR 1980 Control of Fluid Power - Analysis and Design 2nd Chichester, England ELLIS HORWOOD LIMITED Publishers