This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Systematic Experimental Investigation of Pd-Based Light-Off Catalysts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Close-coupled or manifold catalysts have been extensively employed to reduce emissions during cold start by achieving quick catalyst light-off. These catalysts must have good thermal durability, high intrinsic light-off activity and high HC/CO/NOx conversions at high temperature and flow conditions. A number of studies have been dedicated to engine control, manifold design and converter optimization to reduce cold start emissions. The current paper focuses on the effect of catalyst design parameters and their performance response to different engine operating conditions. Key design parameters such as catalyst formulation (CeO2 vs. non CeO2), precious metal loading and composition (Pd vs. Pd/Rh), washcoat loading, catalyst thermal mass, substrate properties and key application (in use) parameters such as catalyst aging, exhaust A/F ratio, A/F ratio modulation, exhaust temperature, temperature rise rate and exhaust flow rate were studied on engine dynamometers in a systematic manner. Optimized Pd light-off catalysts on 400cpsi/6.5, 600cpsi/3 and 900cpsi/2mil cordierite substrates were further examined at the manifold location for FTP-75 emission performance as a function of cold start A/F ratio to achieve the best emission results on a 1997 Nissan Altima.
CitationDou, D., Williamson, B., and Richmond, R., "A Systematic Experimental Investigation of Pd-Based Light-Off Catalysts," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3848, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3848.
SAE 2005 Transactions Journal of Fuels and Lubricants
Number: V114-4 ; Published: 2006-02-01
Number: V114-4 ; Published: 2006-02-01
- Heck R.M., Farrauto R.J., “Catalytic Air Pollution Control”, Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1995.
- Gulati S. T. “Cell Design for Ceramic Monoliths for Catalytic Converter Application”, SAE 881685, 1985.
- Day Paul J., “The Design of a New Ceramic Catalyst Support”, SAE 902167, 1990.
- Day J.P., Socha, L. S. Jr. “The Design of Automotive Catalyst Supports for Improved Pressure Drop and Conversion Efficiency”, SAE 910371, 1991.
- Gulati S.T., “Ceramic Converter Technology for Automotive Emissions Control”, SAE 911736, 1991.
- Summers J.C., Skowron J.F., Miller M.J., “Use of Light-off Catalysts to Meet the California LEV/ULEV Standards, SAE 930386, 1993.
- Ball D.J. “A Warm-up and Underfloor Converter Parameter Study”, SAE 932765, 1993.
- Hepburn J., Patel K., Meneghel M., Ghandhi H., “Development of Pd-only Three Way Catalyst”, SAE 941058, 1994.
- Machida M., Yamda T., Makino M., “Study of Ceramic Catalyst Optimization for Emission Purification Efficiency”, SAE 940784, 1994.
- Hu Z., Heck R.M., “High Temperature Ultra Stable Close-Coupled Catalysts”, SAE 950254, 1995.
- Locker R.L.,Then P.M.,Zink U., “Emission Performance of Ceramic Preconverters Evaluated by FTP and Euro State III Emission Test Cycle”, SAE 960262, 1996.
- Tamura N., Matsumoto S., Kawabata M., Kojima M., Machida M., “The Development of an Automotive Catalyst using a Thin Wall (4mil/400cpsi) Substrate”, SAE 960557, 1996.
- Takada T., Hirayma H., Itoh T., Yaegashi T., “Study of Divided Converter Catalytic System Satisfying Quick Warm up and High Heat Resistance”, SAE 960797, 1996.
- Day J.P., “Substrate Effects on Light-Off Par II Cell Shape Contributions”, SAE 971024, 1997.
- Otto E., Albrecht F., Liebl J., “The Development of BMW Catalyst Concepts for LEV/ULEV and EU III/IV Legislations, 6 Cylinder Engine with Close Coupled Main Catalyst”, SAE 980418, 1998.
- Ichikawa Y., Umehara K., Hijikata T., “Catalyst Layout Optimization for Ultra Thin Wall and High Cell-Density Ceramic Substrate”, SAE 990019, 1999.
- Kikuchi S., Hatcho S., Okayama T., Inose S., Ikeshima K., “High Cell Density and Thin Wall Substrate for Higher Conversion Ratio Catalyst”, SAE 1999-01-0268, 1999.
- Socha L.S. Jr. Heibel A., Kessler B.C., Rieck J.S., Mitchell G. C., Weber P. A., Buckingham J.P., “Performance of Different Cell Structure Converters A Total Systems Perspective”, SAE 992634, 1999.
- Williamson W.B., Dou D., Robota H., “Dual Catalyst Underfloor LEV/ULEV Strategies for Effective Precious Metal Management”, SAE 1999-01-0776, 1999.
- Moore W.R., Richmond R.P., Vaneman G.L, “Evaluation of High Density Substrate for Advanced Catalytic converter Emissions Control”, SAE 1999-01-3630, 1999.
- Gulati Suresh T., “Performance Parameters for Advanced Ceramic Catalyst Supports”, SAE 1999-01-3631, 1999.
- Gulati S.T., “Thin Wall Ceramic Catalyst Supports”, SAE 1999-01-0269, 1999.
- Schmidt J., Waltner A., Loose G., Hirschmann A., Wirth A., Mueller W., van den Tillaart J.A.A., Mussmann L., Lindner D., Gieshoff J., Umehara K., Makino M., Biehn K.P., Kunz A., “The Impact of High Cell Density Ceramic Substrates and Washcoat Properties on the Catalytic Activity of Three Way Catalysts”, SAE 1999-01-0272, 1999.
- Gulati S.T., Zak M.E., Jones L.F., Rieck J.S., Russ M., “Thermal Shock Resistance of Standard and Thin Wall Ceramic Catalysts”, SAE 1999-01-0273, 1999.
- Gulati S.T., “Design and Durability of Standard and Advanced Ceramic Substrates”, SAE 2001-01-0011, 2001.