This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Driving Conditions and Fuel Properties on Diesel Emissions
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For better understanding of diesel emissions in real world, the effects of driving conditions and fuel properties on diesel emissions were studied.
A diesel engine system that is compliant to the Japanese New Short Term Regulation (J-2003 regulation) was used in this study. Major technologies for emission reduction were a common-rail high-pressure fuel injection equipment system, a cooled exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) system and a diesel oxidation catalyst (DOC).
Various driving modes with a wide range of average vehicle speeds and accelerations were selected, including US FTP, US Highway, Japanese JC08, Japanese JE05, Tokyo Metropolitan Government #2, #5 and #8.
Several kinds of test fuels of which characteristics were drastically changed in distillation range, aromatics content and sulfur content were used. A test fuel that complies with the Category-4 Specification of the World-Wide Fuel Charter (WWFC) was included.
Emissions of PM (SOF and soot), NOx, THC, CO, CO2 and fuels economies were examined. Cleanup effect of the DOC was also investigated.
- Naoki Kono - Advanced Technology and Research Institute (ATRI), Japan Petroleum Energy Center (JPEC)
- Yoshikatsu Suzuki - Advanced Technology and Research Institute (ATRI), Japan Petroleum Energy Center (JPEC)
- Hiroshi Takeda - Advanced Technology and Research Institute (ATRI), Japan Petroleum Energy Center (JPEC)
CitationKono, N., Suzuki, Y., and Takeda, H., "Effects of Driving Conditions and Fuel Properties on Diesel Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3835, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3835.
- Spreen, K. B., et al., Effects of Cetane Number, Aromatics, and Oxygenates on Emissions From a 1994 Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine With Exhaust Catalyst, SAE paper 950250, 1995
- Tsurutani, K., et al., The Effects of Fuel Properties and Oxygenates on Diesel Exhaust Emissions, SAE paper 952349, 1995
- Hublin, M., et al., European Programmes on Emissions, Fuels and Engine Technologies (EPEFE) - Light Duty Diesel Study, SAE paper 961073, 1996
- Singer, M., et al., European Programmes on Emissions, Fuels and Engine Technologies (EPEFE) - Heavy Duty Diesel Study, SAE paper 961074, 1996
- Rickeard, D. J., et al., European Programmes on Emissions, Fuels and Engine Technologies (EPEFE) - Light and Heavy Duty Diesel Study, SAE paper 961075, 1996
- Tamanouchi, M., et al., Effects of Fuel Properties on Exhaust Emissions for Diesel Engines With and Without Oxidation Catalyst and High Pressure Injection, SAE paper 970758, 1997
- Desai, R. R., et al, Effects of Fuel Composition on D. I. Diesel Engine Particulates and Study of Oxygen Enriched Diesel NO Formation, SAE paper 971143, 1997
- Tamanouchi, M., et al., Effects of Fuel Properties and Oxidation Catalyst on Exhaust Emissions for Heavy Duty Diesel Engines and Diesel Passenger Cars, SAE paper 980530, 1998
- Mann, N., et al., Diesel Fuel Effects on Emissions - Towards a Better Understanding, SAE paper 982486, 1998
- Ryan T.W. III,, et al., The Effects of Fuel Properties on Emission from 2.5gm NOx Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine, SAE paper 982491, 1998
- Bertoli, C., et al., Evaluation of Combustion Behavior and Pollutants Emission of Advanced Fuel Formulations by Single Cylinder Engine Experiments, SAE paper 982492, 1998
- Nakakita, K., et al., Effect of Hydrocarbon Molecular Structure on Diesel Emissions part1: Comparison on Combustion and Exhaust Emission Characteristics among Representative Diesel Fuels, SAE paper 982494, 1998
- Tamanouchi, M., et al., Effects of DGM and Oxidation Catalyst on Diesel Exhaust Emissions, SAE paper 1999-01-1137, 1999
- Kouremenos, D. A., et al., Experimental Investigation to Determine the Effect of Fuel Aromatic Content on Gaseous and Particulate Emissions of IDI Diesel Engines, SAE paper 2000-01-1172, 2000
- Kidoguchi, Y., Effects of Fuel Properties on combustion and Emission Characteristics of a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine, SAE paper 2000-01-1851, 2000
- Neil, W.S., et al., Influence of Fuel Aromatics Type on the Particulate Matter and NOx Emissions of a Heavy-Duty Diesel Engine, SAE paper 2000-01-1856, 2000
- Matheaus, A.C., et al., EPA HDEWG Program - Engine Tests Results, SAE paper 2000-01-1858, 2000
- Beatrice, C., et al., Experimental Investigation on High-Quality Diesel Fuels Effects in a Light Duty CR Diesel Engine, SAE Paper 2000-01-1911, 2000
- Nikolic, D., Effect of Nozzle Diameter and EGR Ratio on the Flame Temperature and Soot Formation for Various Fuels, SAE paper 2001-01-1939, 2001
- Takahashi, S., Effect of Aromatics Content and 90% Distillation Temperature of Diesel Fuels on Flame temperature and Soot Formation, SAE paper 2001-01-1940, 2001
- Kwon, Y., et al., Fuel Effects on Diesel Emissions - A New Understanding, SAE paper 2001-01-3522, 2001
- Sholes, K. R., et al., Study of the Effect of Boiling Point on Combustion and PM Emissions in a Compression Ignition Engine Using Two Component N-Paraffin Fuels, SAE paper 2002-01-0871, 2002
- Shimazaki, N., et al., Parametric Study and Clarification of Determination Factors of Diesel Exhaust Emission using a Single Cylinder Engine and Model Fuels, - JCAP Combustion Analysis Working Group Report Part I, SAE paper 2002-01-2824, 2002
- Kono, N., et al., Novel Analysis Approach for Better Understanding of Fuel and Engine Effects on Diesel Exhaust Emission - JCAP Combustion Analysis Working Group Report Part II, SAE paper 2002-01-2825, 2002
- Nakakita, K., et al., Effect of Hydrocarbon Molecular Structure in Diesel Fuel on In-Cylinder Soot Formation and Exhaust Emissions, SAE paper 2003-01-1914, 2003
- Frank, B. P., et al., A Study of the Effects of Fuel Type and Emissions Control Systems on Regulated Gaseous Emissions from Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines, SAE paper 2004-01-1085
- Thompson, N., et al., Fuel Effects on Regulated Emissions From Advanced Diesel Engines and Vehicles, SAE paper 2004-01-1880
- Nishiumi, R., et al., Effects of Cetane Number and Distillation Characteristics of Paraffinic Diesel Fuels on PM Emission From a DI Diesel Engine, SAE paper 2004-01-2960, 2004
- Kono, N., et al., Fuel Effects on Emissions from Diesel Vehicles Equipped with Advanced Aftertreatment Devices, SAE paper 2005-01-3700, 2005
- European Automobile Manufacturers Association (ACEA) homepage: http://www.acea.be
- Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers (Alliance) homepage: http://www.autoalliance.org
- Engine Manufacturers Association (EMA) homepage: http://www.enginemanufacturers.org
- Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA) homepage: http://www.japanauto.com
- Diesel Emissions Measurement Procedure for New Model Vehicles in Japan, TRIAS 24-4-1999 and TRIAS 24-5-1999