This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Launch and Driveability Performance Enhancement for a Parallel Hybrid with a Torque Controlled IVT
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A mild hybrid powertrain with crankshaft mounted integrated motor generator (IMG) and torque controlled infinitely variable transmission (IVT) has shown clear potential for fuel economy (FE) enhancement. It also makes significant driveability and performance improvements possible which are a condition for customer satisfaction and subsequent marketability.
The hybrid powertrain supervisory control strategy presented here uses the energy recovered during braking events for power assist, hence improving FE and driveability compromises. This is achieved by operating the engine at its best brake specific fuel consumption (BSFC) point during steady state conditions without deteriorating the transient response as a result of the comparatively fast IMG torque response.
This paper demonstrates the launch manoeuvre and general driveability improvements achieved in simulation with validated models.
CitationCacciatori, E., Bonnet, B., Vaughan, N., Burke, M. et al., "Launch and Driveability Performance Enhancement for a Parallel Hybrid with a Torque Controlled IVT," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3831, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3831.
- Brockbank C. Heumann H. “Delivery of IVT for a 5 litre SUV: Addressing the concerns of Geared Neutral” IIR conference Innovative Fahrzeug-Getriebe Bad Mergentheim March 2002
- Cacciatori E. Bonnet B. Vaughan N. D. Mebarki A. Price D. Burke M. “Design Study on a Mild Hybrid Powertrain for a SUV” 2005 JSAE Annual Congress Yokohama, Japan May 2005
- Murray S. “Integrated Control of the Torotrak Powertrain” 1 st Ricardo International Conference June 2000
- Field M. Burke M. “Powertrain Control of the Torotrak Infinitely Variable Transmission” SAE 2005 World Congress Detroit, Michigan, USA April 2005 2005-01-1461
- Fuchs R. D. Hasuda Y. James I. B. “Full Toroidal IVT Variator Dynamics” SAE 2002 World Congress Detroit, Michigan, USA March 2002 2002-01-0586
- Fuchs R. Hasuda Y. James I. B. “Dynamic Performance Analysis of a Full Toroidal IVT - A Theoretical Approach” 2004 International Continuously Variable and Hybrid Transmission Congress UC Davis September 2004
- Newall J. P. Nicolson D. M. Lee A. P. Evans S. P. “Development and Assessment of Traction Fluids for Use in Toroidal IVT Transmissions” SAE 2002 World Congress Detroit, Michigan, USA March 2002 2002-01-0588
- Heumann H. Briffet G. Burke M. Field M. Fuller J. Lee A. P. Newall J. P. “System Efficency Optimisation of the Torotrak Infinitley Variable Transmission (IVT)” VDI-Berichte Nr. 1709 CVT2002 Munich, Germany October 2002
- Wicke V. Brace C. J. Vaughan N. D. James I. B. “The characterisation of driveability of CVT powertrains during acceleration transients” VDI-Berichte Nr. 1709 CVT2002 Munich, Germany October 2002
- Burtt D. J. James I. B. “Use of System Design Techniques in the Optimization of Integrated Powertrains Incorporating an IVT” SAE 2004 World Congress and Exhibition Detroit, Michigan, USA March 2004 2004-01-0352
- Cacciatori E. Bonnet B. Vaughan N. D. Burke M. Price D. Wejrzanowski K. “Regenerative braking strategies for a parallel hybrid powertrain with torque controlled IVT” SAE 2005 Powertrain and Fluid Systems Conference San Antonio, Texas October 2005