This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Influence of Fuel Design on the Exhaust Gas Emissions and Health Effects
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Different fuels, in detail: three blends from methyl esters of rapeseed oil, soy bean oil, and palm oil; neat rapeseed oil methyl ester; a gas-to-liquid fuel (GTL); and two new diesel fuel qualities from Aral and Shell (Ultimate and V-Power, respectively) were compared to reference diesel fuel (DF) with focus on emissions.
Therefore, the regulated emissions carbon monoxide (CO), hydrocarbons (HC), nitrogen oxides (NOx) and particulate matter (PM) and the non regulated particle size distribution were determined. Additionally to the emissions the mutagenic potency of conventional reference diesel fuel, biodiesel, Shell V-Power Diesel, and Aral Ultimate Diesel was tested.
With the exception of CO, GTL always led to better results of regulated emissions than conventional diesel fuel (DF). Except for NOx, biodiesel emitted less regulated compounds than GTL and all diesel fuels. Biodiesel showed the lowest mutagenicity. However, the new diesel fuels from Aral and Shell also had less mutagenic potency than DF.
In the result of all investigations it becomes clear that the potency of fuel systems engineering as constructional element should be considered for the joint development of biogenic and fossil fuels and engines.
- A. Munack - Institute for Technology and Biosystems Engineering, Federal Agricultural Research Centre, Braunschweig, Germany
- O. Schröder - Institute for Technology and Biosystems Engineering, Federal Agricultural Research Centre, Braunschweig, Germany
- H. Stein - Institute for Technology and Biosystems Engineering, Federal Agricultural Research Centre, Braunschweig, Germany
- L. Herbst - Institute for Technology and Biosystems Engineering, Federal Agricultural Research Centre, Braunschweig, Germany
- A. Kaufmann - Institute for Technology and Biosystems Engineering, Federal Agricultural Research Centre, Braunschweig, Germany
CitationKrahl, J., Munack, A., Schröder, O., Stein, H. et al., "The Influence of Fuel Design on the Exhaust Gas Emissions and Health Effects," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3772, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3772.
- VDB Press release 6-2004 of the Association of German Biodiesel Producers (Verband deutscher Biodieselhersteller) 2004
- Observ'ER Biofuels Barometer / Le Baromètre des Biocarburants Systèmes Solaires 161 53 65 2004
- Richtlinie 2003/30/EG 2003
- European Union Green Book “Security of the energy supply” White Book “Traffic policy until 2010” 2001
- European Union Information Note 6795/03 of the Council of the EU dated 2003/02/25 2003
- Krahl, J. Munack, A. Bahadir, M. Schumacher, L. G. Elser, N. Review: Utilization of rapeseed oil, rapeseed oil methylester or diesel fuel: Exhaust gas emissions and estimation of environmental effects SAE Paper 962096 1996
- Munack, A. Krahl, J. Speckmann, H. Marto, A. Bantzhaff, R. Development of a sensor for determination of biodiesel, fossil diesel fuel, and their blends Jasinski, B. V International Scientific Conference on Microprocessor Systems in Agriculture , Conference Proceedings Płock, Poland 113 119 2004
- Bantzhaff, R. Marto, A. Krahl, J. Munack, A. Verfahren und Schaltungsanordnung zum Erfassen und/oder Bestimmen der Beschaffenheit eines Mediums München 7 2004
- Blaßnegger, J. Schlag, S. Landbauforschung Völkenrode Sonderheft 239 63 68 2002
- Knothe, G. Krahl, J. Van Gerpen, J. The Biodiesel Handbook AOCS Press Champaign, Ill., USA 2005
- Bischof, O.F. Horn, H.-G. MTZ 60 226 232 1999
- Claxton, L.D. Characterization of automotive emissions by bacterial mutagenesis bioassay: a review Environ Mutagen 5 609 631 1983
- Ames, B.N. Lee, F.D. Durston, W.E. An improved bacterial test system for the detection and classification of mutagens and carcinogens Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 70 782 786 1973
- Maron, D.M. Ames, B.N. Revised methods for the Salmonella mutagenicity test Mutat Res 113 173 215 1983
- Bünger, J. Krahl, J. Franke, H.U. Munack, A. Hallier, E. Mutagenic and cytotoxic effects of exhaust particulate matter of biodiesel compared to fossil diesel fuel Mutat Res 415 13 23 1998
- Bünger, J. Müller, M.M. Krahl, J. Baum, K. Weigel, A. Hallier, E. Schulz, T.G. Mutagenicity of diesel engine particles from two fossil and two plant oil fuels Mutagenesis 15 391 397 2000
- McCormick, R.L. Graboski, M.S. Alleman, T.L. Herring, A.M. Tyson, K.S. Impact of biodiesel source material and chemical structure on emissions of criteria pollutants from a heavy-duty engine Environ Sci Technol 35 1742 1747 2001
- Alleman, T.L. McCormick, R.L. Fischer-Tropsch diesel fuels-properties and exhaust emissions: A literature review SAE Paper 2003-01-0763 2003