This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Crank-Angle Resolved Imaging of Fuel Distribution, Ignition and Combustion in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A combination of imaging techniques for investigations of highly transient processes and cyclic variations in internal combustion engines is presented. The single high-speed camera setup uses a CMOS camera combined with a two-stage image-intensifier and two excimer lasers. Fuel mixing, ignition and combustion were monitored via planar laser induced fluorescence imaging of toluene as a tracer that was added to iso-octane in combination with the simultaneous recording of light emission from the spark plasma and OH* chemiluminescence of the developing flame. Image frame rates of 12 kHz for hundreds of cycles were achieved. Application to misfire events in a spray-guided gasoline direct-injection engine is described to illustrate the merits of the technique.
CitationSmith, J. and Sick, V., "Crank-Angle Resolved Imaging of Fuel Distribution, Ignition and Combustion in a Direct-Injection Spark-Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3753, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3753.
- Zhao, F. Lai M.C. Harrington D.L. Automotive Spark-Ignited Direct Injection Gasoline Engines Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 1999 25 437 562
- Bowditch, F.W. A New Tool For Combustion Research SAE 1960 610002
- Fissenewert, U. Sick V. Pucher H. Characterization of Combustion and NO Formation in a Spray-Guided Gasoline Direct-Injection Engine Using Chemiluminescence Imaging, NO-PLIF, and Fast NO Exhaust Gas Analysis SAE 2005 2005-01-2089
- Einecke, S. Schulz C. Sick V. Measurement of Temperature, Fuel Concentration and Equivalence Ratio Fields Using Tracer LIF in IC Engine Combustion Applied Physics B: Lasers and Optics 2000 71 717 723
- Arnold, A. Buschmann A. Cousyn B. Decker M. Sick V. Vannobel F. Wolfrum J. Simultaneous Imaging of Fuel and Hydroxyl Radicals in an In-Line Four Cylinder SI Engine SAE Transactions 1993 102 Journal of Engines 1 9
- Ghandhi, J.B. Bracco F.V. Fuel Distribution Effects on the Combustion of a Direct-Injection Stratified Charge Engine SAE 1995 950460
- Fujikawa, T. Nomura Y. Hattori Y. Kobayashi T. Kanda M. Analysis of Cycle-By-Cycle Variation in a Direct Injection Gasoline Engine Using a Laser Induced Flourescence Technique International Journal of Engine Research 2003 4 2 143 154
- Frieden, D. Sick V. Investigation of the Fuel Injection, Mixing and Combustion Processes in an SIDI Engine Using Quasi-3D LIF Imaging SAE 2003 2003-01-0068
- Schulz, C. Sick V. Tracer-LIF Diagnostics: Quantitative Measurement of Fuel Concentration, Temperature and Fuel/Air Ratio in Practical Combustion Systems Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 2001 31 1 75 83
- Hult, J. Richter M. Nygren J. Alden M. Hultquist A. Christensen M. Johansson B. Application of a High-Repetition Rate Laser Diagnostic System for Single-Cycle Resolved Imaging in Internal Combustion Engines Applied Optics 2002 41 24 5002 5014
- Miles, R.B. Applied Combustion Diagnostics Kohse-Hoinghaus K. Jeffries J.B. 2002 Taylor and Francis New York
- Fansler, T.D. Drake M.C. Stojkovic B.D. Rosalik M.E. Local Fuel Concentration, Ignition and Combustion in a Stratified Charge Spark Ignited Direct Injection Engine: Spectroscopic, Imaging and Pressure-Based Measurements International Journal of Engine Research 2002 4 2 61 87
- Koban, W. Koch J.D. Hanson R.K. Schulz C. Absorption and Fluorescence of Toluene Vapor at Elevated Temperatures Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2004 6 2940 2945
- Koban, W. Koch J.D. Sick V. Wermuth N. Hanson R.K. Schulz C. Predicting LIF Signal Strength For Toluene and 3-Pentanone Under Engine-Related Temperature and Pressure Conditions Proc. Combust. Inst. 2005 30 1545 1553
- Frieden, D. Sick V. A Two-Tracer LIF Strategy for Quantitative Oxygen Imaging in Engines Applied to Study the Influence of Skip-Firing on In-Cylinder Oxygen Contents of an SIDI Engine SAE 2003 2003-01-1114
- Reboux, J. Puechberty D. Dionnet F. A New Approach of Planar Laser Induced Flourescence Applied to Fuel/Air Ratio Measurement in the Compression Stroke of an Optical S.I. Engine SAE 1994 941988
- Kalghatgi, G.T. Spark Ignition, Early Flame Development and Cyclic Variation in I.C. Engines SAE 1987 870163