This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Study of the In-Nozzle Flow Characteristic of Valve Covered Orifice Nozzles for Gasoline Direct Injection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
For spark ignition engines, the most effective way to reduce the overall fuel consumption and CO2 emissions respectively is the implementation of gasoline direct injection technology. In comparison to the current wall and air guided systems, the direct injection system of the second generation - the spray guided DI- is the most promising one with respect to fuel economy and emission. In order to exploit its full potential, a thorough combustion process development regarding injector and spark plug design and their positioning within the combustion chamber is essential. Especially multihole injectors offer many degrees of freedom with regard to the nozzle shape and spray pattern. To reduce the development work and costs necessary to identify the ideal nozzle characteristic and spray pattern, reliable CFD models are necessary.
Although many investigations of the in-nozzle flow of real size multihole injectors for diesel applications have been carried out within the last decade, publications of research work using optical gasoline injectors, especially multihole injectors, are very limited. In order to improve and validate the CFD models, a comprehensive understanding of the flow characteristic within gasoline injectors is essential.
This paper presents the results of an investigation of the in-nozzle flow characteristic of a Valve Covered Orifice (VCO) type nozzle. A transparent real size single hole injector was developed and adapted to a pressure chamber. A series of experiments for the visualisation of the onset and development of cavitation inside the nozzle and the initial fuel break up process was conducted applying the back light illumination method. The influence of different chamber and injection pressures, as well as different nozzle shapes on the injection process and cavitation development were examined.
CitationGilles-Birth, I., Bernhardt, S., Spicher, U., and Rechs, M., "A Study of the In-Nozzle Flow Characteristic of Valve Covered Orifice Nozzles for Gasoline Direct Injection," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3684, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3684.
- Achleitner, E. Amann, R. Klepatsch, M. Pasqui, R. Frenzel, H. Warnecke, V. Baur, P. 2003
- Alt, M. Quarg, J. Bargende, M. Gasoline Direct Injection - Potentials of Homogeneous and Stratified Operation 2002
- Spicher, U. Heidenreich, T. Nauwerk, A. Stand der Technik strahlgeführter Verbrennungs-systeme 2004
- Lang, O. Geiger, J. Habermann, K. Sehr, A. Vogt, B. Optimization of Turbocharged Direct-Injected Gasoline Engines 2003
- Brinkmann, F. Pingen, B. Walder, K. Benzindirekteinspritzung mit Turboaufladung - Ein Brennverfahren für Downsizing-Konzepte 2003
- Borrmann, D. Brinkmann, F. Walder, K. Pingen, B. Wojahn, J. Behrends, P. Gasoline direct Injection and Turbo Charging - a New Opportunity for Downsizing 2002
- Heil, B. Weining, H. Karl, G. Panten, D Wunderlich, K. Verbrauch und Emissionen - Reduzierungskonzepte beim Ottomotor, Teil 2 12 2001 1022 1035
- Wirth, M. Zimmermann, D. Friedfeldt, R. Caine, J. Schamel, A. Storch, A. Ries-Müller, K. Gansert, K.-P. Pilgram, G. Ortmann, R. Würfel, G. Gerhardt, J. The Next Generation of Gasoline Direct Injection: improved Fuel Economy and Optimized System Cost 2003
- Ortmann, R. Arndt, S. Raimann, J. Grzeszik, R. Würfel, G. Methods and Analysis of Fuel Injection, Mixture Preparation and Charge Stratification in Different Direct Injected SI Engines SAE 2001-01-0970 2001
- Allen, J. Hargrave, G. Khoo, Y. In-Nozzle and Spray Diagnostic Techniques for Real Sized Pressure Swirl and Plain Orifice Gasoline Direct Injectors SAE 2003-01-3151 2003
- Matsumura, E. Takashi, T. Takeda Furuno, S. Senda, J. Analysis of Visualized Fuel flow inside the slit Nozzle of Direct Injection SI Gasoline Engine SAE 2003-01-0060 2003
- Arcoumanis, C. Flora H. Gavaises, M. Badami, M. Caviation in Real-Size Multihole Diesel Injector Nozzles SAE 2000-01-1249 2000
- Bode, J.
- Busch, R. 2001
- Walther, J. 2002