This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Injection Timing Retard on Emissions and Performance of a Pongamia Oil Methyl Ester Fuelled CI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 24, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Injection timing variations have a strong effect on NOx emissions for direct injection diesel engines. Retarded injection is commonly used to control NOx emissions. Biodiesel is a non-toxic, biodegradable and renewable fuel with the potential to reduce engine exhaust emissions. The methyl ester of pongamia oil, known as biodiesel, is receiving increasing attention as an alternative fuel for diesel engines. In the present investigation neat pongamia oil methyl ester (PME) as well as the blends of varying proportions of pongamia oil methyl ester (PME) and diesel were used to run a CI engine with standard injection timing and retarded injection timing. Significant improvements in engine performance and emission characteristics were observed for PME fuel. The addition of PME to diesel fuel has significantly reduced HC, CO, and smoke emissions but it increases the NOX emission slightly with standard injection timing. The NOX emission was decreased with retarded injection timing with negligible effect on fuel consumption rate. Similar trend in brake thermal efficiency and exhaust gas temperature was observed with retarded injection timing while maximum cylinder gas pressure and ignition delay was decreased.
CitationSuryawanshi, J. and Deshpande, N., "Effect of Injection Timing Retard on Emissions and Performance of a Pongamia Oil Methyl Ester Fuelled CI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3677, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3677.
- Chank, D.Y. Gerpn, J.H.V. “Determination of Particulate and Unburned Hydrocarbon Emission from Diesel Engines Fueled with Biodiesel” SAE Paper 982527 1998
- Akasaka, Y. Suzuki, T. Sakurai, Y. “Exhaust Emission of a DI diesel Engine Fuelled with blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulphur Diesel fuel” SAE Paper 972998 1998
- Graboski, M.S. Ross, J.D. Macormick, R.L. “Transient Emissions from No.2 Diesel and Biodiesel Blends in a DDC Series 60 Engine” SAE Paper 961166 1996
- Last, R.J. Kruger, M. Durnholz, M. “Emission and Performance Characteristics of a 4-Stroke, Direct Injected Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biodiesel and Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel” SAE Paper 950054 1995
- Scholl, K.W. Sorenson, S.C. “Combustion of Soybean Oil Methyl Ester in a Direct Injection Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 930934 1993
- Senatore, A. Cardone, M. Rocco, V. Prati, M.V. “A Comparative Analysis of Combustion Process In D.I. Diesel Engine Fueled with Biodiesel and Diesel Fuel” SAE Paper 2000-01-0691 2000
- Schmidt, K. Gerpen, J.V. “The Effect of Biodiesel Fuel Composition on Diesel Combustion and Emissions” SAE Paper 961086 1996
- Alfuso, S. Auriemma, M. Police, G. Prati, M.V. “The Effect of Methyl Ester of Rapeseed Oil on Combustion and Emissions of DI Diesel Engines” SAE Paper 932801 1993
- Schramm, J. Foldager, I. Olsen, N. Gratz, L. “Emission from a Diesel Vehicle Operated on Alternative Fuel in Copenhagen” SAE 1999-01-3603 1999
- Heywood, J. B. “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw-Hill series in mechanical engineering New York 1988
- Agarwal, A. K. Bijwe, J. Das, L.M. “Biodiesel Development and Characterization for Use as a Fuel in Compression Ignition Engines” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 123 April 2001
- Selim, M.Y.E. Radwan, M.S. Elfeky S.M.S. 2003 “Combustion of jojoba methyl ester in an indirect injection diesel engine” Renewable Energy 28 1401 1420
- Dorado, M.P. Ballesteros, E. Arnal, J.M. Gomez, J. Lopez, F.J. “Exhaust emissions from a Diesel engine fueled with transesterified waste olive oil” Fuel 82 2003
- Zhang, Y. Gerpen, J.V. “Combustion Analysis of Esters of Soybean Oil in a Diesel Engine” SAE Paper 960765 1996
- Serdari, A. Fragioudakis, K. Kalligeros, S. Stournas, S. Lois, E. “Impact of Using Biodiesels of Different Origin and Additives on the Performance of a Stationary Diesel Engine,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 122 Oct 2000
- Nwafor, O.M.I. Rice, G. 1995 “Performance of Rapeseed Methyl Ester in Diesel Engine” Renewable Energy 6 3 335 342
- Kumar, R. Sharma, M. Ray, S. S. Sarin, R. “Biodiesel from Jatropha Curcas and Pongamia Pinnata” SAE Paper 2004-28-0087 2004