This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Midi-Bus Infinitely Variable Transmission Retarder Deletion Study
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A typical 10 tonne Midi-bus driveline includes an electric retarder device, located at the transmission output, which is used during vehicle braking thereby reducing service brake usage and wear. The retarder is activated via the brake pedal and operates down to speeds of 1 kph.
To reduce cost and complexity it may be possible to delete the electric retarder when an infinitely variable transmission (IVT) powertrain is used in place of the standard 5 speed automatic transmission (5AT). The purpose of this study is to determine the amount of service brake usage, in terms of energy dissipation, for both the 5AT (with retarder) and IVT (without retarder) over the Millbrook London Transport Bus (MLTB) drive cycle. Validated MATLAB® dynamic models of both drivelines are used to calculate retarder and service brake usage.
|Technical Paper||An Automatic Transmission for Automotive Gas Turbine Power Plants|
|Technical Paper||Variable Nozzle Turbochargers for Medium-Speed Diesel Engines|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Clutch Dimensions for Truck and Bus Applications|
CitationBurke, M. and Oaten, R., "Midi-Bus Infinitely Variable Transmission Retarder Deletion Study," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3546, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3546.
- Burke M. Briffet G. Fuller J. Heumann H. Newall, J. “Powertrain efficiency optimization of the Torotrak Infinitely Variable Transmission (IVT)” SAE 2003 World Congress; 2003-01-0971
- Brockbank C. Heumann H. “Delivery of IVT for a 5 litre SUV: Addressing the concerns of Geared Neutral” IIR March 2002 Conference “Innovative Fahrzeuggetriebe”
- Murray S. “Integrated Control of the Torotrak Powertrain” 1st Ricardo International Conference June 2000
- Burtt D. James I. “Use of system design techniques in the optimization of integrated powertrains incorporating an IVT” SAE 2004 World Congress; 2004-01-0352
- Field M. Burke M. “Powertrain Control of the Torotrak Infinitely Variable Transmission” SAE 2005 World Congress; 2005-01-1461