This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Volvo Heavy Truck Gas Turbine VT300
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 01, 2005 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Renewed interest in a gas turbine as an alternative driveline for heavy trucks within Volvo, driven by the demands for lower emissions, resulted in a pre-study during 1990-1992 and the development and testing of a demonstrator engine between 1993 and 2000. To achieve the demanding goals for efficiency and emissions, the engine was designed as a recuperated and intercooled two shaft powerplant with a low-emission combustor.
Following a comprehensive aerodynamic and concept study, engine components were rig tested and the engine mechanical design was finalized. Two engines were built and tested in a rig and in a truck. Very low exhaust emissions were demonstrated during rig testing, with NOx as low as 0,22 g/kWh in a 13-mode test. The efficiency goal of 42 % was not reached, but given more development time the measured efficiency of 38,6 % can most certainly be improved. Still, it will be the fuel consumption that is the major disadvantage compared to a diesel engine.
The engine was also installed in a Volvo FH12 truck and tested for a limited time.
The pros and cons of the gas turbines for trucks are discussed with some emphasis on emissions and fuel availability. Some areas where efforts must be made to improve the gas turbine are described and some suggestions of how to do it are given.
|Technical Paper||High Efficiency Vehicular Gas Turbines|
|Technical Paper||Practical Vehicular Gas Turbines|
|Technical Paper||The Stanadyne DB2 Distributor Pump for Medium Duty Diesels|
CitationOlsson, A., Jönsson, B., and Sundin, L., "The Volvo Heavy Truck Gas Turbine VT300," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3504, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3504.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Barnard, M.C.S. Phillips, P.A. “The British Leyland 2S/350/R Gas turbine Engine” ASME Paper 74-GT-145, ASME Gas Turbine Conference Zurich, Switzerland March 30 April 4 1974
- Best, G.C. Flanigan, E.E. “Allison GT-404 - The VIP Engine - Versatile Industrial Power” ASME Paper 72-GT-93, ASME Gas Turbine and Fluids Engineering Conference San Fransisco, Calif. March 26-30 1972
- Cadwell, R.G. Chapman, W.I. Walch, H.C. “The Ford Turbine - An Engine Designed to Compete with the Diesel” SAE Paper 720168 , Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Mich. Jan. 10-14 1972
- Heilmann, W. Hagemeister, K. “Small Regenerative Gas Turbine Design and Development at MTU” ASME Paper 77-GT-103, ASME Gas Turbine Conference Philadelphia, PA March 27-31 1977
- Mortimer, J. “Fiat Takes the Wraps off its Gas Turbine” The Engineer July 14 1977
- Sumi, Y. Yamazaki, S. Kinoshita, K. “Development of The Nissan YTP-12 Gas Turbine Engine” ASME Paper 76-GT-101, ASME Gas Turbine and Fluids Engineering Conference New Orleans, La. March 21-25 1976
- Woodhouse, G.D. “ITI GT601 - A New Approach to Vehicular Gas Turbine Power Unit Design” ASME Paper 81-GT-152, ASME Gas Turbine Conference Houston, Texas March 9-12 1981
- Olivier, P.D. “Vehicle Operating Experience with the Garrett/ITI GT601 Gas Turbine Power Unit” SAE Paper 820310 , International Congress and Exhibition Detroit, Mich. Febr. 22-26 1982
- Wilson, T.R. Glance, P.C. “Evaluation and Compatibility Testing of the GT601 Gas Turbine Engine for Application to U.S. Army Combat Vehicles” Tokyo International Gas Turbine Congress Tokyo October 23-29 1983
- Lauriat, T.B. “The AVCO-Lycoming TF15 A Regenerative Marine Gas Turbine” ASME Paper 86-GT-284, ASME International Gas Turbine Conference Dusseldorf, West Germany June 8-12 1986
- Collinge, K. “Lycoming AGT1500 powers the M1 Abrams…A Gas Turbine Success Story” Global Gas Turbine News May 1994
- Kronogård, S.O. “The Volvo-Turbo Experimental Gas Turbine” ASME Paper 62-GTP-8, Gas Turbine Power Conference Houston, Texas March 4-8 1962
- Kronogård, S.O. “The Volvo Dual Powerplant for Military Vehicles” SAE Paper 660017 , Automotive Engineering Congress Detroit, Mich. January 10-14 1966
- Kronogård, S.O. “Turbine Transmission Systems for Automotive and Industrial Traction Applications” SAE Paper 660762 , National Power Plant and Transmission Meeting Chicago, Illinois October 17-21 1966
- Three-shaft Gas Turbine with power-splitting Planetary Gear Automobil Revue No 21 1978
- Kronogård, S.O. “Automotive Turbine - Advantages of Three Shaft configuration” Gas turbine International Nov-Dec 1975
- Kronogård, S.O. Malmrup, L. “Advanced Automotive Turbine Transmission System - Diesel Competitive Fuel Economy with Low Emissions” First Int. Automotive Fuel Economy Research Conference Arlington, Virginia, USA 1979
- Holmqvist, G. Malmrup, L. “Component Development for the KTT MK1 Automotive Gas Turbine” ASME Paper 85-GT-204, ASME Gas Turbine Conference Houston, Texas, USA March 18-21 1985
- Rehn, J. “The Volvo High Speed Generation Hybrid Drive” Volvo Technology Report 2 1993
- Lagerström, G. Malmqvist, A. “Advanced Hybrid Propulsion System for Volvo ECT” Volvo Technology Report 2 1995
- Malmquist, A. Rosendal, L. Berg, N. Agle'n, O. “2 nd Generation Gas Turbine Driven Hybrid City Bus” Proceedings of the 15 th Electrical Vehicle Symposium Brussels 1998
- Malmrup, L. “Microturbine activities at Turbec and Volvo” SAE Future Transportation Technology Conference Costa Mesa, Calif., USA Aug. 20-22 2001
- Carnö, J. Cavani, A. Liinanki, L. “Micro Gas Turbine for Combined Heat and Power in Distributed Generation” ASME Paper 98-GT-309, International Gas Turbine & Aeroengine Congress and Exhibition Stockholm, Sweden June 2-5 1998
- Snyder, P.H “Cooled High-temperature Radial Turbine Program, Final report” NASA CR 189122, USAAVSCOM TR-92-C-010, Report No. EDR 15982 May 1992
- Tatsumi T. Takehara I. Ichikawa Y. “Development Summary of the 300 kW Ceramic Gas Turbine CGT302” International Gas Turbine & Aeroengine Congress & Exhibition Indianapolis, Indiana June 7 - 10 1999
- Efficiency Developments in 300 kW Ceramic Gas Turbine. Diesel and Gas Turbine Worldwide June 1999
- Lagerström, G. Xie, M. “High Performance and Cost Effective Recuperators for Microturbines” ASME Paper GT-2002-30402, ASME Turbo Expo 2002
- Maziasz P.J. Pint B.A. Swindeman R.W. Moore K.L. Santella M.L. Oak Ridge National Laboratory “Advanced Alloys for High Temperature Recuperators” DER Materials Quarterly Progress Report January 1 2003 March 31 2003
- Pint B. A. Oak Ridge National Laboratory “Recuperator Alloys - Composition Optimisation for Corrosion Resistance” DER Materials Quarterly Progress Report January 1 2003 March 31 2003
- Lara -Curzio E. Oak Ridge National Laboratory “Recuperator Materials Testing and Evaluation” DER Materials Quarterly Progress Report January 1 2003 March 31 2003
- Gabrielsson, R. Payen, G. Avran, P. “Catalytic Combustor Development Within the AGATA Program” ASME Paper 99-GT-442, ASME International Gas Turbine and Aeroengine Congress and Exposition Indianapolis, Indiana June 7-10 1999
- Sundin L. Malmrup L. “Gas Turbine development at Volvo and Turbec” The First International Conference on Gas Turbine Technologies CAME-GT thematic Network July 2004 Brussels