This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Crash Analysis of a Command and Control System Deployed on the Rear Ramp of a C-130 Aircraft
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 03, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to prepare for flight on-board a military aircraft with an experimental prototype system, a crash scenario analysis was performed to ensure safety of the aircraft and its crew. The following describes the crash analysis of the Oculus sensor pallet system in preparation for a flight test on a C-130 aircraft. In this particular case, the two units were analyzed individually in accordance with the loading standards outlined in MIL-HDBK-1791. The unit that deploys outside of the rear cargo ramp of the aircraft (sensor platform) was analyzed more closely than the system that remains locked (operator station) into the rail system of the aircraft. As the results show, both systems are capable of being subjected to crash loading forces.
- Zenovy S. Wowczuk - Center for Industrial Research Application (CIRA) West Virginia University
- Gerald M. Angle - Center for Industrial Research Application (CIRA) West Virginia University
- Emily D. Pertl - Center for Industrial Research Application (CIRA) West Virginia University
- James E. Smith - Center for Industrial Research Application (CIRA) West Virginia University
CitationWowczuk, Z., Angle, G., Pertl, E., and Smith, J., "Crash Analysis of a Command and Control System Deployed on the Rear Ramp of a C-130 Aircraft," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3424, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-3424.
- Wowczuk, Zenovy S. Means, Kenneth H. Mucino, Victor H. Thompson, Gregory J. Smith, James II Auld, Jeffery R.X Smith, James E. Naternicola, Adam Feragotti, Lawrence Corso, Bruce J. “Design of a Standardized Roll-On, Roll-Off Sensor Pallet System for a C-130_Aircraft,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-3092
- “Designing for International Aerial Delivery in Fixed Wing Aircraft,” Military Standard Handbook
- Collins, Jack A. “Machine Design of Mechanical Elements and Machines” John Wiley & Sons New York 2003
- Oberg, Erik Jones, Franklin D. Horton, Holbrook L. Ryffel, Henry H. “Machinery’s Handbook” 26th Edition Industrial Press Inc New York 2000
- Yamashita, Kenichi Okamura, Hideo Shimizu, Shinji Sakamoto, Haruhisa Ishida, Makoto “NVH Experimental Analyses for an Engine Structure Model Assembled with Ordinary Tap Bolts and with Through Bolts,” SAE Paper 2003-01-1732
- Angle, Gerald II Pertl, F. Andy Smith, James E. “Velocity Profile Measurements Under the Ramp of a Lockheed Martin C-130 Aircraft,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-3099
- Feragotti, Lawrence A. Wowczuk, Zenovy S. Smith, James E. “Analysis of the C-130 Sensor Deployment System Arm Using Finite Element Methods,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-3098
- Wowczuk, Zenovy S. Means, Kenneth H. Mucino, Victor H. Thompson, Gregory J. Feragotti, Lawrence Smith, James E. Naternicola, Adam Corso, Bruce J. “Dynamic Modal Analysis and Optimization of a Mechanical Sensor Arm Deployment System for a C-130 Aircraft,” SAE Paper No. 2004-01-3129
- Wowczuk, Zenovy S. Naternicola, Adam Smith, James E. “C-130 Sensor Platform Modified Bracing Structure Analysis,” IMAC–XXIII Conference and Exposition on Structural Dynamics (Society for Experimental Mechanics), Paper No. 2005-477