This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulations of Whistle Noise from Air Ventilation Duct
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Numerical simulations are performed to investigate whistle noise originated from air ventilation ducts in automotive heating, ventilating, and air conditioning (HVAC) system. Whistle noise is caused by periodic vortex shedding from damper tip when damper blocks nearly all of the air passage. In this study, this whistle noise is reproduced using CFD and acoustic analogy. The effects of different damper geometry and different gap width between damper and duct wall are investigated through 2D simulation. Also spanwise and temporal variations of flow/aeroacoustic quantities over the damper are investigated through 3D simulation, too. In this study, unsteady Reynolds averaged Navier-Stokes equations (RANS) are solved with a turbulence model and Ffowcs-Williams and Hawkings equation is used to calculate aeroacoustic pressure.
|Technical Paper||Aero-Acoustic Predictions of Automotive Instrument Panel Ducts|
|Technical Paper||Development of Low Noise Blower Fan|
|Technical Paper||Combining Modeling Methods to Accurately Predict Wind Noise Contribution|
CitationPark, J. and Lee, H., "Numerical Simulations of Whistle Noise from Air Ventilation Duct," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2496, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2496.
- Repik E. P. “Historical Perspective on Vehicle Interior Noise Development,” SAE 2003-01-1518 2003
- Hipp-Kalthoff C. Eilemann A. Kilian J. “Acoustic Optimization of HVAC Systems,” SAE technical paper, 971812
- Humbad N. “Automotive HVAC Flow Noise Prediction Models” SAE technical paper, 2001-01-1498
- Schillemeit B. Cucuz S. “Comparison of Experimental NVH Analysis Techniques on Automotive HVAC Systems” SAE technical paper, 2002-01-1173
- Hachemi Z. E. et al. “Application of Aero-Acoustic Analogy to Automotive Industry” JSAE 20025339 2002
- Lokhande B. Sovani S. Xu J. “Computational Aeroacoustic Analysis of a Generic Side View Mirror,” SAE 2003-01-1698 2003
- SC/Tetra Version5 User's Guide Software Cradle Co., Ltd. 2003
- Williams J. E. Ffowcs Hawkins D. L. “Sound generation by turbulence and surfaces in arbitrary motion,” Proceedings of the Royal Society of London A 264 321 342 1969
- Jeon Wan-Ho Cho Jang-Hyung “Numerical analysis of unsteady flow field and flow noise of a fan system” The 33rd international Congress on Noise Control Engineering 2004 Prague, Czech Republic August 22-25
- Park Jeongyoung Kwon Jaewoong Ahn Byungjae “Numerical simulation of flow noise in automotive HVAC systems,” JASE Paper, 20045455 2004
- Jeon Wan-Ho “A numerical study on the effects of the design parameters upon fan performance and noise of centrifugal fan,” Journal of Sound and Vibration 265 221 230 2003