This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Accessory Drive System of the V6 Engine Using Computer Simulation and Dynamic Measurements
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
At the initial accessory drive system design stage, a model was created using commercial CAE software to predict the dynamic response of the pulleys, tensioner motion and pulley slip. In a typical 6 cylinder automotive accessory drive systems, the first system torsional mode is near the engine idle speed. The combination of these two events could generate numerous undesirable noise and vibration effects in the system. Data acquisition on a firing engine with a powertrain dynamometer confirmed the computer model's results. Correlations are then developed and established based on results between the firing engine to the CAE model to increase confidence in the generated model. Further system optimization through design modifications are used to tune the system to minimize the overall system dynamics.
CitationSandhu, J., Szatkowski, A., Rose, B., and Lau, F., "Optimization of Accessory Drive System of the V6 Engine Using Computer Simulation and Dynamic Measurements," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2458, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2458.
- Ma, Z.-D. Perkins, N. User Mannual for DKAD 2002
- Mote, C. D., Jr. “A Study of Band Saw Vibrations” Journal of the Franklin Institute 279 6 1965 430 444
- Mockensturm, E. M. Perkins, N. C. Ulsoy, A. G. “Stability and Limit Cycles of Parametrically Excited, Axially Moving Strings” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 118 July 1996 346 351
- Barker, C. R. Oliver, L. R. Breig, W. F. 1991 “Dynamic Analysis of Belt Drive Tension Forces during Rapid Engine Acceleration” SAE Peper No. 910687
- Hwang, S. -J. Perkins, N. C. Ulsoy, A. G. Meckstroth, R. J. “Rotational Response and Slip Prediction of Serpentine Belt Drive Systems” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 116 1 71 78
- Leamy, M. J. Perkins, N. C. “Nonlinear Periodic Response of Engine Accessory Drives with Dry Friction Tensioners” Journal of Vibration and Acoustics 120 October 1998 909 916
- Sandhu, J. S. Wehrly, M. K. Resh, W. F. Rose, B. A. “An Investigation of Rotational Response of Accessory Drive Serpentine Belt System” 2001 SAE Noise & Vibration Conference