This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Measurement of Torsional Natural Frequencies, Moments of Inertia and Torsional Stiffness of Shafts
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 16, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a method to measure torsional natural frequencies and to calculate moment of inertia and torsional stiffness of a shaft. The concepts of equivalent mass moment of inertia and equivalent torsional stiffness are used to model the shaft. The method applies two identical accelerometers to measure the frequency response functions (FRFs) on two symmetric positions about the shaft. Adding these two FRFs, the bending components of the FRFs are canceled, whereas the torsional components of the FRFs are retained and enhanced. Hence, the torsional natural frequencies of the shaft can be found. By attaching a uniform hollow disk firmly to the free end of the shaft and measuring the new FRFs of the system with the disk, the moment of inertia and torsional stiffness of the shaft can be calculated.
CitationChang, C., "Measurement of Torsional Natural Frequencies, Moments of Inertia and Torsional Stiffness of Shafts," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2273, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2273.
- Dally, J. W. Riley, W. F. McConnell, K. G. Instrumentation for Engineering Measurements Wiley 1993
- Harris, C. M. Shock and Vibration Handbook 4th McGraw-Hill 1996
- Halliwell, N. A. The laser torsional vibrometer: a step forward in rotation machinery diagnostics Journal of Sound and Vibration 190 399 418 1996
- Rothberg, S. J. Baker, J. R. Halliwell, N. A. Laser vibrometry: pseudo vibrations Journal of Sound and Vibration 135 516 522 1989
- McConnell, K. G. Vibration Testing Wiley 1995
- Ewins, D. J. Modal Testing: theory, practice and application 2nd Research Studies Press 2000
- Tse, F. S. Morse, I. E. Hinkle, R. T. Mechanical Vibration: Theory and Applications 2nd Allyn and Bacon 1978
- Thomson, W. T. Dahleh, M. D. Theory of Vibration with Applications 5th Prentice-Hall 1998