This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of New Manual Transmission Gear Oil for Fuel Economy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
We developed a new Manual Transmission Gear Oil (MTF) named LV for improved fuel economy and CO2 reduction. MTF LV is a low viscosity fluid to reduce stir losses at lower temperatures. In general, low viscosity fluids can cause metal fatigue, wear and seizure. The MTF LV was designed to overcome these problems by maintaining the oil film thickness after it is deteriorated and improving the wear characteristics with additives. As a result, the MTF LV provides equal or better durability than the current MTF. In addition, it also has good performance at low temperatures, better shift feeling characteristics, and improved oxidation stability.
CitationYamamori, K., Saito, K., and Yoneda, T., "Development of New Manual Transmission Gear Oil for Fuel Economy," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2182, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2182.
- Kaneko H. Kugimiya T. Kuribayashi T. Arai H. Honda A. Akiyama S. “Development of CVTF for Steel Pushing V-Belt CVT,” '01 TVT Symposium Toyota 2001 87 92
- Kugimiya T. Yoshimura N. Kuribayashi T. Mitsui J. Ueda F. Ando Y. Nakada T. Ohira H. “Next Generation High Performance ATF for Slip-controlled Automatic Transmission,” SAE Paper 972927
- Yamamori K. Saito K. Kobiki Y. Ogawa A. “Development of New Automatic Transmission Fluid for Fuel Economy,” SAE Paper 2003-01-3258
- Matthes B. “DUALTRONIC ™ -Lessons Learned and Future Applications,” '05 TVT Symposium Tsukuba 2005 20 26
- Kurihara I. Igarashi J. Muraki M. “EHD friction reduction efficiency of polymer-containing oil,” JSAE 20005208
- Umamori N. Kugimiya T. “Study of Viscosity Index Improver for Fuel Economy ATF,” SAE Paper 2003-01-3256
- Vinci J. Grisso B. Schenkenberger C. Qureshi F. Gahagan M. Hasegawa H. “Systematic Formulation of Efficient and Durable Axle Lubricants for Light Trucks and Sport Utility Vehicles,” SAE Paper 2004-01-3030