This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Lubrication Applications of Coat Forming Additives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
One of the ongoing needs in the materials industry is to facilitate significant production cost saving due to energy usage. One way to do this is to use the thermal energy generally emitted during heat treatment to facilitate additive reactions with the material surface. This has been successfully done by formulating specific lubricity additives into on a oil or aqueous quenching media. When the material is heated and subsequently quenched, the lubricity additive will then react with the surface providing substantial improvements in lubricity. This process is called: “coat forming”. The objective of this paper is to provide an overview of coat forming reactions, additives, and subsequent application performance.
CitationCanale, L., Funatani, K., and Totten, G., "Lubrication Applications of Coat Forming Additives," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2181, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2181.
- Sinha A.K. Ferrous Physical Metallurgy “Chapter 10 - Basic Heat Treatment” 1989 Butterworths Boston, MA 403 440
- Krauss G. “Glossary of Selected Terms” Steels: Heat Treatment and Processing Principles 1990 ASM International Materials Park, OH 453 468
- Tarney E. “Heat Treatment of Tool Steels” Tooling & Production 2000 May 102 104
- Totten G.E. Bates C.E. Clinton N.A. Handbook of Quenching and Quenching Technology 1993 ASM International Materials Park, OH
- Placek D.J. “Quenching Performance of Synthetic Phosphate Ester Oils as Determined by Cooling Curve Analysis” In Conf. Proceed. Quenching and Control of Distortion II Totten, G.E. Howes, M.A.H. Sjoström, S Funatani, K. ASM International Materials OH 1996 405 411
- Nakanishi Y. Sakamoto K. Ando G. Watanabe T. “Process and apparatus for Heat treatment of Steel Material Such as Soft Steel or the Like” May 28 1985
- Hashimoto K. Nakamura H. Okada T. Tanaka M. Fukuhara K. “Quenching Oil Compositions” April 2 1973
- Asada S. “Coat Forming Quenching Oil and Distortion” In Conf. Proceed. Quenching and Control of Distortion II Totten, G.E. Howes, M.A.H. Sjoström, S Funatani, K. ASM International Materials OH 1996 413 415
- Japanese Industrial Standard 2242-1980 Heat Treating Oil
- Quenching Oil Composition Apr. 24 1973
- Fukahara F. Asada S. Funatani K. “Advancement and Future of Coat Quenchants for Heat Treatment of Automotive Components” The 1st International Automotive Heat Treating Conference Colas R. Funatani K. Stickels C.A. ASM International Materials Park, OH 1998 395 400