This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of Nanoparticles at the Exhaust of a Common Rail Diesel Engine by Optical Techniques and Conventional Method.
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Broadband ultraviolet-visible extinction and scattering spectroscopy (BUVESS) and Laser Induced Incandescence (LII) were used at the undiluted exhaust of a Common Rail diesel engine for detection, sizing and counting nanoparticles. BUVESS and LII are powerful in situ and non intrusive techniques.
BUVESS is based on multiwavelength extinction and scattering spectroscopy. It overcomes the intrinsic limitations of single wavelength techniques because it takes advantage of data at several wavelengths to retrieve primary particle size distribution with better accuracy.
LII measures volume concentration and mean size of primary particles with a large measurement range, not limited by aggregate size.
The optical results were compared with those obtained by conventional methods like opacimeter for mass concentration and Electrical Low Pressure Impactor (ELPI) for sizing.
In this work, experimental investigations upstream and downstream Catalyzed Diesel Particulate Filter (CDPF) of 16 v - 1.9 l Common Rail diesel engine were performed at different engine speeds and loads.
CitationMerola, S., Vaglieco, B., and Tornatore, C., "Characterization of Nanoparticles at the Exhaust of a Common Rail Diesel Engine by Optical Techniques and Conventional Method.," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2155, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2155.
- Oberdorster G Gelein R M Ferin J Weiss B Association of particulate air pollution and acute mortality: involvement of ultrafine particles? Inhalation Toxicology 7 111 124 1995
- Gilmour PS Ziesenis A Morrison ER Vickers MA Drost EM Ford I Karg E Mossa C Schroeppel A Ferron GA Heyder J Greaves M MacNee W Donaldson K Pulmonary and systemic effects of short-term inhalation exposure to ultrafine carbon black particles Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 15 195 1 35 44 2004
- Abdul-Khalek, I.S. Kittelson, D.B. Brear, F. The influence of dilution conditions on diesel exhaust particle size distributions measurements SAE Technical paper n. 1999-01-1142 1999
- Witze, P.O. Diagnostics for the Measurement of Particulate Matter Emissions from Reciprocating Engines The Fifth International Symposium on Diagnostics and Modeling of Combustion in Internal Combustion Engines Nagoya, Japan July 1-4 2001
- Borghese, A. Merola, S.S. Time Resolved Spectral and Spatial Description of Laser-Induced Breakdown in Air as a Pulsed, Bright and Broadband Ultraviolet-Visible Light Source Applied Optics 37 3977 3083 1998
- Bohren, C.F. Huffman, D.R. Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles Wiley-Interscience New York 1983
- Mörsch, O. Sorsche P. Investigation of Alternative Methods to Determine Particulate Mass Emissions UNECE/WP.29/GRPE report 2001
- Ahlvik, P. Ntziachristos, L. Keskinen, J. Virtanen, A. Real Time Measurements of Diesel Particle Size Distributions with an Electrical Low Pressure Impactor SAE Technical paper n. 980410 1998
- Virtanen, A. Ristimäki, J. Marjamäki, M. Vaaraslahti, K. Keskinen, J. Lappi, M. Effective Density of Diesel Exhaust Particles as a Function of Size SAE Technical paper n. 2002-01-0056 2002
- Maricq, M. Podsiadlik, D. Chase, R. Examination of the Size-Resolved and Transient Nature of Motor Vehicle Particle Emissions Environ. Sci. Technol. 33 1618 1626 1999
- Merola S.S. Vaglieco B. M. Zarinchang J. Simultaneous Detection of NOx and Particulate in Exhaust of a CR Diesel Engine by UV-Visible Spectroscopy SAE Technical paper n. 2003-01-0786 in SAE Vol. SP-1757 2003
- Whitby, K.T. Modelling of Atmospheric Aerosol Size Distribution o University of Minnesota Minneapolis 1975
- Chang, H. Charalampopoulos, T.T. Determination of the wavelength dependence of refractive indices of flame soot Proc. Royal Soc. London A. 430 577 591 1990
- Melton, L.A. Soot Diagnostics Based on Laser Heating Appl. Opt. 23 2201 2208 1984
- Schraml S. Will S. Leipertz A. Simultaneous Measurement of Soot Mass Concentration and Primary Particle Size in the Exhaust of a DI Diesel Engine by Time-Resolved Laser-Induced Incandescence (TIRE-LII) SAE Technical paper n. 1999-01-0146 1999
- De Iuliis S. Cignoli F. Benecchi S. Zizak G. Determination of soot parameters by a two-angle scattering-extinction technique in an ethylene diffusion flame Applied Optics 37 7865 7874 1998
- Snelling, D. R. Smallwood, G. J. Gülder, Ö. L. Bachalo, W. D. Sankar, S. Soot Volume Fraction Characterization Using the Laser-Induced Incandescence Detection Method Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon July 2000
- Green R. M. Witze P. O. Laser-induced incandescence and elastic-scattering measurements of particulate-matter volume fraction changes during passage through a dilution tunnel Proceedings of the 10th International Symposium on Applications of Laser Techniques to Fluid Mechanics Lisbon July 2000
- Karcher, W. Spectral Atlas of Polycyclic Aromatic Compounds 1 Karcher, W et al. KluwerAcademic Publ 1988
- Okabe, I. Photochemistry of Small Molecules Wiley Interscience Publications, John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New York 1978
- Merola S.S Vaglieco B.M. Spectroscopic characterisation of nanoparticle modes at the exhaust of a CR Diesel engine equipped with particulate filter Proceedings 6th International Conference on Engines for Automobile - ICE2003 Capri (Napoli) 2003 Paper SAE_NA 2003-01-54
- Maricq, M. Chase, R.E. Xu, N. Laing, P.N. The Effects of the Catalytic Converter and Fuel Sulfur Level on Motor Vehicle Particulate Matter Emissions: Light Duty Diesel Vehicles Environm. Sci. Tech. 36 283 289 2002
- Burtscher H. et al. Structure of particles in combustion engine exhaust J. Aerosol Sci. 26 s129 s130 1995
- Charalampopoulos T.T Chang H. Agglomerate parameters and fractal dimension of soot using light scattering - effects on surface growth Combustion & Flame 87 89 99 1991
- Vaglieco B. M. Monda O. Corcione F.E. Menguc M.P. Optical and Radiative Properties of Particulates at Diesel Engine Exhaust Combust. Sci. and Tech. 102 283 299 1994
- Vaglieco B. M. Merola S.S. D'Anna, A. D'Alessio, A. Spectroscopic analysis and modeling of particulate formation in a Diesel engine Journal of Quantitative Spectroscopy & Radiative Transfer 73 443 450 2002