This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Applying boosting to gasoline HCCI operation with residual gas trapping
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The application of Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition (HCCI) combustion to naturally aspirated engines has shown a much reduced usable load range as compared to spark ignition (SI) engines. The approach documented here applies inlet charge boosting to gasoline HCCI operation on an engine configuration that is typical for SI gasoline engines, in conjunction with residual gas trapping. The latter helps to retain the benefits of much reduced requirement for external heating. In the present work, the achievable engine load range is controlled by the level of boost pressure while varying the amount of trapped residual gas. In addition, it was found that there is a maximum amount of boost that can be applied without intake heating for any given amount of trapped residuals. NOx emissions decrease with increasing amounts of trapped residual. A substantial increase in the upper limit of load range can be achieved without auxiliary intake heating, while NOx emissions are characteristically low.
CitationYap, D., Wyszynski, M., Megaritis, A., and Xu, H., "Applying boosting to gasoline HCCI operation with residual gas trapping," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2121, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2121.
- Christensen M. Johansson B. Einewall P. Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) using iso-octane, ethanol and natural gas - a comparison with spark ignition operation SAE Paper No. 972824 1997
- Onishi, S. Jo, S. H. Shoda, K. Jo, P. D. Kato, S. SAE Tech. Pap. Ser. 1979, No. 790501
- Najt P.M. Foster D.E. Compression-ignited homogeneous charge combustion SAE 830264 1983
- Christensen M. Johansson B. AmnJus P. Mauss F. Supercharged homogenous charge compression ignition SAE Paper No. 980787 1998
- Christensen M. Johansson B. Supercharged Homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) with exhaust gas recirculation and pilot fuel SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1835 2001
- Olsson J.O. Tunestal P. Haraldsson G. Johansson B. “A Turbocharged Dual-Fuel HCCI Engine” SAE Paper No. 2001-01-1896
- Lavy J. Dabadie J.C. Angelberger C. Wiland J. Juretzka A Schaflein J. Ma T. Lendresse Y. Satre A. Schulz C. Kramer H. Zhao H. Damiano L. Innovative ultra-low NOx controlled auto-ignition combustion process for gasoline engines: the 4-SPACE project SAE Paper No. 2000-01-1837 2000
- Li J. Zhao H. Ladommatos N. Research and development of controlled auto-ignition (CAI) combustion in a 4-stroke multi-cylinder gasoline engine SAE paper No. 2001-01-3608 2001
- Zhao H. Li J. Ma T. Ladommatos N. Performance and analysis of a 4-stroke multi-cylinder gasoline premixed charge compression ignited engine SAE Paper No. 2001-01-0420 2001