This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Sensitivity of a DI Diesel NOx Model to Changes in Common Rail Pressure, Injection Patterns and EGR
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 11, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes some capabilities and limitations of a simplified semi-empirical method of estimating NOx quantities produced during each cycle of diesel engine combustion. This scheme accepts measured cylinder pressure-volume data as an input and uses this to compute NOx pollutant quantities formed during each engine cycle. The methodology employs basic thermodynamic principles but assumes very simplified chemistry of pollutant formation.
The approach taken has relied on the availability of an extensive bank of experimental data obtained from two different light duty common-rail diesel engines. Steady-state tests were carried out over a range of those engine parameters known to affect NOx emissions. Parameters varied included engine speed, equivalence ratio, exhaust gas re-circulation quantity, common rail pressure and start and duration of fuel injection. This paper focuses on assessment of the ability of the model to reflect the measured effects of individual variables, with a view to assessing its suitability for use in real-time onboard emissions control systems.
CitationLyons, C. and Timoney, D., "Sensitivity of a DI Diesel NOx Model to Changes in Common Rail Pressure, Injection Patterns and EGR," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2118, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2118.
- Turns, S.R. An Introduction to Combustion, Concepts and Applications Second 2000 550 552 0-07-116910-5
- Kobayashi, N. , Yamashits, A. , Naito, O. , Setaguchi, T. and Murase, T. Development of Simultaneous NOx / NH 3 Sensor in Exhaust Gas Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Technical Review 38 3 October 2001
- Brunt, M.F.J. , and Platts K. C. Calculation of Heat Release in Direct Injection Diesel Engines SAE paper 1999-01-0187
- Schihl, P.J. , Atreya, A. , Bryzik, W. and Schwarz, E. Simulation of Combustion in Direct-Injection Low Swirl Heavy-Duty Type Engines SAE paper 1999-01-0288 1999
- Timoney, D.J. , McNally, C.P. and Doyle, C.T. A Three-Zone Heat Release Model for Direct Injection Diesel Engines THIESEL 2000 Conference on Thermofluidynamic processes in Diesel engines UP Valencia 84-7721-910-9 2000
- Golovitchev, V.I. , Nordin, N. , Jarnicki, R. and Chomiak, J. 3-D Diesel Spray Simulations using a New Detailed Chemistry model SAE paper 2000-01-1891 2000
- Thompson, G.J. , Atkinson, C.M. , Clark, N.N. , Long T.W. and Hanzevack E. Neural Network Modelling of the Emissions and Performance of a Heavy-duty Diesel Engine Proc. I.Mech.E, Part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering 2000 214 111 126
- Timoney, D.J. , Desantes, J.M. , Hernández, L. and Lyons, C.M. The development of a semi-empirical model for rapid NOx concentration evaluation using measured in-cylinder pressure in diesel engines Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, IMechE, Part D, Journal of Automobile Engineering 219
- Dec, J.E. and Canaan, R.A. PLIF imaging of NO formation in a DI diesel engine SAE paper 980147 1998
- Ball, J.K. , Bowe, M.J. , Stone, C.R. and Collings, N. Validation of a Cyclic NO Formation Model with Fast NO Measurements SAE paper 2001-01-1010 2001
- Lapuerta, M. , Armas, O. and Hernández, J.J. Diagnostic of DI Diesel Combustion from In-Cylinder Pressure Signal by Estimation of Mean Thermodynamic Properties of the Gas Applied Thermal Engineering 19 513 529 Oxford, UK 1999
- Lapuerta, M. , Armas, O. and Hernández, J.J. Sensitivity of a Diesel Engine Thermodynamic Cycle Calculation to Measurement Errors and Estimated Parameters Applied Thermal Engineering 20 843 861 Oxford, UK 2000
- Woschni, G. A Universally Applicable Equation for Instantaneous Heat Transfer Coefficient in the Internal Combustion Engine SAE paper 670931 1967
- Shiozaki, T. , Nakajima, H. , Kudo, Y. , Miyashita, A. and Aoyagi, Y. The Analysis of a Combustion Flame Under EGR Conditions in a DI Diesel Engine SAE paper 960323 1996
- Ahmed, T. and Plee, S.L. Application of Flame Temperature Correlations to Emissions from a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine SAE paper 831734 1983
- Heywood, J.B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals Singapore McGraw-Hill 1988 0-07-100499-8
- Plee, S.L , Ahmed, T. and Myers, J.P. Flame Temperature Correlation for the Effects of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on Diesel Particulates and NOx Emissions SAE 811195 1981
- Duffy K.P. and Mellor A.M. Further developments on a Characteristic Time Model for NOx Emissions from Diesel Engines SAE paper 982460 1998
- Szelky G.A. Jr. and Alkidas A.C. A Two-Stage Heat-Release Model for Diesel Engines SAE paper 861272 1986
- Statgraphics Plus 5 [computer program]. Version 5.1 Rockville, MD, USA Manugistics, Inc. 2000
- Mendenthall W. and Sincich T Statistics for the Engineering and Computer Sciences 2nd Collier MacMillan publishers London 1989 0-02-946143-X