This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Underhood Temperature Analysis in Case of Natural Convection
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 10, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper describes a method to simulate underhood temperature distributions in passenger cars. A simplified engine compartment simulation test rig is used to perform measurements with well known boundary conditions to validate the simulation strategy. The measurement setup corresponds to idle without working fan. The aim of this setup is to validate cases with strong natural convection, e.g. thermal soaking.
A coupled steady-state CFD run and thermal analysis is undertaken to simulate the temperature distribution in the test rig. Convective heat transfer coefficients and air temperatures are calculated in StarCD™. The radiative and conductive heat transfer is considered in a RadTherm™ analysis. The strong coupling of flow field and wall temperature in buoyancy driven flows requires an iterative process.
Calculated temperatures are compared to measured results in order to validate the simulation method as far as possible. Some of the results are reported in this paper.
CitationWeidmann, E., Wiedemann, J., Binner, T., and Reister, H., "Underhood Temperature Analysis in Case of Natural Convection," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2045, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2045.
- Schuster, M. “Application of CFD as an efficient analysis tool supporting the experimental investigation of underhood and underbody airflows” VTMS 6 SAE Conference, 2003. C599/056/2003
- Reister, H. Maihöfer, M. “Underhood Component Temperature Analysis for Passenger Cars” VTMS 6 SAE Conference, 2003. C599/028/2003
- Bendell, E. “Investigation of a Coupled CFD and Thermal Modelling Methodology for Prediction of Vehicle Underbody Temperatures” 1st. European TAE-UGM for Automotive Applications 2004
- Schlichting, H. Gersten K. Springer Berlin 1997
- Baehr H. Stephan K. Springer Berlin 1998
- STAR-CD User's manual Version 3.15/Methodology Computational Dynamics Limited London 2001
- RadTherm Technical Documentation 7.1 ThermoAnalytics Calumet 2004
- MEDINA, 7.3.4., Reference manual T-Systems Leinfelden-Echterdingen 2004
- Pro-am™ User Guide, Version V3.103.521 Adapco Melville 2003
- MpCCI Mesh-based parallel Code Coupling Interface Fraunhofer Institut 2002 Sankt Augustin