This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of a Coupled CFD and Thermal Modelling Methodology for Prediction of Vehicle Underbody Temperatures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 10, 2005 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A coupled steady-state CFD and thermal study was undertaken at full-vehicle scale using the Low-Reynolds formulation of the k-epsilon turbulence model, with hybrid wall function modification. The separate thermal model included radiative and conductive heat transfer. Road testing (simulated hill climb using towing dynamometer) was performed to provide both boundary conditions for exhaust temperature and detailed local temperatures (air and surface) to enable correlation. CFD and thermal models were alternately iterated until overall convergence was achieved. Measured air temperatures were utilized in the “control” thermal model to provide a best possible non-CFD solution.
Coupled model results show reduction in local surface temperature prediction error due to the inclusion of the detailed convection modeling, but cause concerns that the heat transfer mechanism in the exhaust tunnel is not correctly represented. The model additionally increased qualititative understanding of the flow conditions surrounding the vehicle underbody. The modeling process was very time-consuming due to geometry and mesh manipulation and proposals are made to reduce this in future.
CitationBendell, E., "Investigation of a Coupled CFD and Thermal Modelling Methodology for Prediction of Vehicle Underbody Temperatures," SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2044, 2005, https://doi.org/10.4271/2005-01-2044.
- STAR-CD V3.15 Manuals Computational Dynamics Limited 2002
- Schuster, M. “Application of CFD as an efficient analysis tool supporting the experimental investigation of underhood and underbody airflows” VTMS 6 SAE Conference 2003
- Reister, H. Maihöfer, M. “Underhood Component Temperature Analysis for Passenger Cars” VTMS 6 SAE Conference 2003
- Skea A. Jolliffe, A. Harrison, R. Jones, M.R. Cardani, P. Smith, L. “Integrated underbonnet thermal management simulation” VTMS 6 SAE Conference 2003
- Damodoran, Kaushik “Simulation to Identify and Resolve Underhood/Underbody Thermal Issues” Fluent Limited Online Articles #118
- Karlsson, Van Benthem “Vehicle Underbody Thermal Simulation Using Computational Fluid Dynamics” SAE 1999-01-0579
- de Ciutiis, H. Leuthold, S. “Testing Device for Heatshields and Thermally Loaded Materials” Rieter Automotive Conference 2003
- Durbin, P. “Near-wall Turbulent Closure Modelling without ‘Damping Functions’” Theoretical and Computational Fluid Dynamics 3 1 13 1991
- Emery et al. “A Comparitive Study of Methods for Computing the Diffuse Radiation Viewfactors for Complex Structures” ASME Journal of Heat Transfer May 1991 113 413 422